Grain In Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy01

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I've been a kit brewer for about 5 years and am about to take the leap into AG. The posts on this site have been great in helping me to plan my setup. Thanks to all the contributors.

My main question is where can I get grain in Brisbane? All the HBS I have tried seem to be focussed on kits and only sell small packs of grain. I am not a big volume brewer and am only looking to order enough for 3 brews initially. Thought I would start with a Pale Ale recipe using the Coopers Pale Ale as a starter yeast.

:) :D :)

Go the cowboys

Welcome Jimmy.

Which side of brisbane are you at? Then we can suggest a shop for you.

I also have gathered up most of my equipment minus chiller. And would like to know who has the best selection and price for grain in bris.

I reckon Quality homebrew at Underwood holds the best stock/prices on the Southside - Northside, I wouldn't have a clue...

Ross said:
I reckon Quality homebrew at Underwood holds the best stock/prices on the Southside - Northside, I wouldn't have a clue...
[post="80720"][/post]​

I am not sure if that is the same as Slacks Creek but my experiance was different.
I wanted a 25Kg bag of JW Traditional and I was quoted $70.00. Annerley was $60.00. My closest LHBS at Manly no longer wants to carry grain but he ordered in for me for $53.00. Judging by that, I would say you are a favourite customer that deserves a good deal. Like in all things, search around until you find the best deal.. (Actualy, an AHBS Bulk Buy is the cheapest)

cheers. :beer:
PeterS....

sluggerdog said:
Welcome Jimmy.

Which side of brisbane are you at? Then we can suggest a shop for you.
[post="80706"][/post]​

Hi Sluggerdog

I am on the north side of Brisbane at Aspley.

Jimmy

Brewer's Choice in Chapel Hill is probably your best bet, I always had good service and prices there. Annerly is okay, but I could never bring myself to seriously support a HBS that wouldn't refridgerate hops. Never checked out the one at Underwood though.

I have found that annerly is good for grain but when I was in there the other day the hops didn't come from the fridge either and i thought that was strange. They were still fine though. Annerly seems to be fairly cheap as well..

Matt

so basicallly get my grain from annerley and my hops from underwood, chapel hill to far for most of the time. maybe we should all rent a storage shed and buy wholsale and stock hops, grains etc....

Chapel hill charged a friend of mine $7 a kilo for over 10 kilos of MO pale the other day - daylight robbery IMO.
The main thing, wherever you go, is getting to know your local HBS & seeing what service/prices you can get. I get my grain as I need it & cracked as well, for less than the bulk prices quoted on this thread... :D

It's amazing the price difference on the same thing at different stores around brissy..

matt

I use the shop at chapel hill and they have never let me down. I am only new to ag brewing but on first impressions I am very happy with the shop.

great site. :beerbang:

you need to get in with a bulk buy, but im not to sure if anyone in brizzy is ready for more grain yet?

Every HBS i have been to so far on the north side will not, do not want to know about grain, and there hops are either on the shelf keeoing nice and warm, or in the fridge in little brewcraft/fermtech packs at premium prices

I have a heap of hops spare if you want to PM me i can help you out...as far as grain im not to sure

Brewers Choice at enoggra will do grain, I used to get grain from Norm there (before bulk buys), best thing is he seems to know his stuff. Nothing else on the north side even really selling grain.

www.brewerchoice.com.au

Ross said:
Chapel hill charged a friend of mine $7 a kilo for over 10 kilos of MO pale the other day - daylight robbery IMO.
[post="80738"][/post]​

Really? Tony is normally quite fair in his pricing.

jgriffin said:
Ross said:
[post="80738"][/post]​

Really? Tony is normally quite fair in his pricing.
[post="80752"][/post]​

Sure did - maybe it was a mistake? John, let us know if you happen to be in there...

jimmyjack said:
so basicallly get my grain from annerley and my hops from underwood, chapel hill to far for most of the time. maybe we should all rent a storage shed and buy wholsale and stock hops, grains etc....
[post="80734"][/post]​

If you use the one shop for everything I am sure they will give you prices to reflect that.

A bulk buy is the best way of sourcing grain in Brisbane. You may want to check out the Brisbane Brewers (Hoops could give you some info).

I tried a few of the shops in Brisbane and the prices ranged (JW Trad 25kg) from $57 (Slacks Creek) to $75 (Brewers Choice).

Thanks Guys

Advice much appreciated. I'll give Enoggera a go firstly as he is closest. Otherwise sounds like a trip to Underwood or Chapel Hill

Jimmy

:)

I'll second the chapel hill recommendation. I agree that they may be a little high on prices (maybe an extra $5 all up for a batch) but Tony is pretty helpful. I also thinnk its the imported grains that are high, when I use the australian malts, they're very cheap.

Back