Grain - How Long Can You Keep It For?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is a fridge a dry environment? I know its packed with bacteria but I am unsure about moisture.

fridge is fine, but not really necessary.

cheers ross

Is a fridge a dry environment? I know its packed with bacteria but I am unsure about moisture.

A toilet seat is a dry enviroment, not much bacteria and dependant on moisture whether you have weed on it or not.. :p

Sorry :icon_offtopic: but had to type it...

hey hey

Thought I'd post and ask here instead of starting a new thread and couldnt find an excat answer. Just wondering, I bought 500g Caramalt 60EBC in mid November and had the brew shop crack it for me. I've used half and the rest has been sitting in a ziplock airtight bag in the cupboard. Will it still be good to use? In these conditions how long can you keep cracked grains for? Anxious to brew today!

dickman

Should be fine mate. Airtight, dark area, consistent temperature. You would think it should be fine for a few months at least.

Gang, not out of my brewing Hiatus yet aaaaargh, Had a dream about recipes last night. Getting withdrawal symptoms.....! :blink:

I 've got a load of grain uncrackeds. Weyermann Pilsner, Joe white and Marris Otter ale malt.
Made a visual inspection and no vermins yet at 24 months later.

It would take me two days to set up for a brew session. With the silly season upon us and school holidays I am not likely to get a session unless I become a completed ******* and ignore those most important around me.

I Might eat the grain for breakfast :lol:

Sorry for the rant but haven't posted anthing sensible for 24 months...

Storage Tips

3 tips.

Dry
Dark
Airtight.

Matti

Latest posts

Back