Grain father v robobrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keemju

Reaction score
Look for peoples opinions on these two units.im looking at going ag i have decided to purchase on of these units just not sure which one at first glance both or 35lt and have pumps. However There is a masive price difference between the i quess my question is am i just paying for a brand name with the gf?
Any constructive opinions would be appreciated

After considering a GF I bought a RoboBrew with pump a couple of weeks ago due to the sheer value. IMHO it's a better buy due to the 2400W total element wattage (stronger boil) and extra tap at the base for draining.

It does come with some niggles however and something I worked out by doing a cleaning run prior to the first batch. The volume markings on the inside are super handy but are about 1L out. 24L measured at room temperature in a jug filled the unit to the 25L mark. The temp probe on mine is also about 5 degrees too high so you have to make an allowance for that when heating strike water and mashing, I double check with a glass thermometer while brewing which is fine.

I did my first batch on it on Friday, a SMaSH pale ale with some old Best Pilsen malt and Motueka hops. It performed flawlessly. Mashed in, started the recirc slowly at first and sped it up once I saw that there was a decent level of conversion already complete. Ran smoothly and after sparging I ended up bang on a calculated 75% efficiency. Super clear wort pre-boil.

New pump model features a handy false bottom that worked really well. Used BrewBrite at 10 mins and at the end of the boil I used the supplied immersion chiller while recirculating the wort through the pump. Ran off the wort slowly from the tap and was left with nearly all of the break material sitting on the false bottom with the hop bags.

Given that the Robo is less than half the price of the GF I think it's a better buy. Even with the couple of quirks it is better value when you think about the sheer amount of ingredients and other equipment you can purchase with the price difference.

> The temp probe on mine is also about 5 degrees too high so you have to make an allowance for that when heating strike water and mashing, I double check with a glass thermometer while brewing which is fine.

I'd return it and seek a replacement, mash temp is critical and this is the primary function of the device, which it fails to perform. I think when the romance of a new shiny mash tun wears off you wont he as happy as you are now with the defect.

Adamski29 said:
..... The temp probe on mine is also about 5 degrees too high so you have to make an allowance for that when heating strike water and mashing,....
Is it, when mine has grain in it there is a temperature difference top to bottom, probably around 5 degrees, if you run some off you can check the temp, at the bottom.

What temp does it show when its boiling?

I asked my LHBS who stocks all things Keg King and Grainfathers about a Robobrew. The response I got was "(lengthy pause...) I can get them in, but I'd rather you just bought it direct from Keg King. That way I dont have to deal with all the warranty returns." I was all set to buy one too until this unflattering review... now I have to save up over twice as much!!

So far happy with my Robobrew. No dramas, nice and easy, everything working. Only thing is measurement marking are out by a litre. I just measure everything going in anyway. It's the new pump model too.

Just be careful of measurements using a jug, even one you believe to be accurate. Use some scales to check you jug, you may be surprised.

I agree with Batz. I use plastic jugs to measure my polyurethane for work. A 1.5 litre jug at the full mark was actually holding 1.65 litres. Check your jug by weight with an accurate scale.

I did that first. My 5l plastic measuring jugs with 5l is 5kg on the scales. After zeroing to take the weight of the empty jug.

Andy_27 said:
I asked my LHBS who stocks all things Keg King and Grainfathers about a Robobrew. The response I got was "(lengthy pause...) I can get them in, but I'd rather you just bought it direct from Keg King. That way I dont have to deal with all the warranty returns." I was all set to buy one too until this unflattering review... now I have to save up over twice as much!!
He wouldn't make a retailer's bottom if he didn't guide you to something more expensive than you could afford, almost using the Robobrew as a loss leader.
Just remember they both have a 1 year warranty, if he is marking them both up at the 100% (minimum) then he will make more money from the sale of the Grainfather. :)

Keemju said:
Has anyone attempted to return a robobrew to keg king r they easy to deal with
Keg King are usually really good with their warranties. Don't know about Robobrews but warranties for their kegerators are done by arranging a pick up from your house regardless of where you bought it.

wide eyed and legless said:
He wouldn't make a retailer's bottom if he didn't guide you to something more expensive than you could afford, almost using the Robobrew as a loss leader.
Just remember they both have a 1 year warranty, if he is marking them both up at the 100% (minimum) then he will make more money from the sale of the Grainfather. :)
You say something or just fart?

I doubt there is 100% margin in selling breweries.

Wholesale GF for $600?
Wholesale Robobrew for $250?

I bet the retailers wish that was the case.

I love the naivety of the average punter, the Guten / Ace / Klarstein which are from the same stable as the Grainfather and Robobrew with better fittings, polished finish, larger capacity same 1 year warranty and a stepped mash feature could be landed taxes,shipping and agents paid for, for around $275 AUD and not that much more for the 50 litre version.
That is for a 20 foot container, cheaper again with a 40 footer. Without any doubt 100% mark up.

same 1 year warranty.

Under Australian consumer law I have greater protections than that one year warranty, that goes for both the GF and the Robobrew. Given the Guten is imported by you can you be sure of the same protections?

I love the naivety of the average punter, the Guten / Ace / Klarstein which are from the same stable as the Grainfather and Robobrew with better fittings, polished finish, larger capacity same 1 year warranty and a stepped mash feature could be landed taxes,shipping and agents paid for, for around $275 AUD and not that much more for the 50 litre version.
That is for a 20 foot container, cheaper again with a 40 footer. Without any doubt 100% mark up.

So it wasn't a fart. Didn't think so.

Under Australian consumer law I have greater protections than that one year warranty, that goes for both the GF and the Robobrew. Given the Guten is imported by you can you be sure of the same protections?
Alibaba is not the same site it was some years ago, if the company you are buying from fails to honour the 1 year warranty they could get into strife with Alibaba. The other thing is under warranty, it is up to the purchaser to return the damaged goods under Australian law now I do know Keg King are extremely good but I am sure you wouldn't be expected to return any damaged goods to China.

Yeah I get your point and I admit I always get a bit sceptical when a retailer bags out a company or product... I changed my mind anyway and am going with a Cheeky Peak 3 Vessel for about the same price as the GF. SO in any case, Mr LHBS didnt make a sale...

Back