Grain Crushers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprungmonkey

Reaction score
Anyone every tried one of these to crack grains or would it take too long? I have no idea how they work or how much volumes they can handle or the results produced. Anyone used or use one?

grind.jpg

I had a "Porkert" corona-type mill for years. They work okay but they're hard to adjust "just right" to minimise both flour and uncracked kernels. Try and bang up a larger hopper. I used a cut up 2l plastic coke bottle.

Anyone every tried one of these to crack grains or would it take too long? I have no idea how they work or how much volumes they can handle or the results produced. Anyone used or use one?

hi, it looks like the spice grinder , it might make a flour of the grain.

i am also interested in the result it produces.

cheers

Used one for years just make sure you don't crush too fine, I removed the handle & screw a bolt into the crank & used a cordless drill, very easy. I passed it onto a fellow brewer once I got me a Barley Crusher, & he uses it still to this very day. Essentially your husks will be shredded as opposed to cracked but with a little care with the crush setting & some rice hulls (optional) you will be fine.

Has anyone used or knows whether novital grain mills are any good for cracking, I thought idea of doing 250kgs grain by machine in a hour rather then 4kgs an hour by hand on the marga mill was pretty inviting.

Novital Mills

How long can you hold off Dave? I'm looking at hopefully getting a mill in the next couple/few months. If you can hold out we should split postage on the MM-2 if you can spare the cash also.

I'll pick it up on the weekend if it's at glasshouse!

Not in a rush at all to get one. Just gathering stuff for when i decide to go AG.

How much is a MM2?

$104 USD for the mill + $20 USD postage each if we get two sent together.

quite possibly.. give me a month or 2 to get some funds together. haven't done an ag yet but getting keener by the minute. Might have to come and watch you do one, one day.

Yeah I checked the conversion and it's just on $130 incl postage!

Dave, I'll let you know when I get my system back to normal, i've had problems with the last 2 brews that added an extra 1-1.5 hours to the day. Not fun!

sounds good. I wanta have a look at someone do a AG before I jump into it myself. Then i know the bare essentials I require to get started.

Back