Grain crusher not crushing.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthrony

Reaction score
I have the roller type of grain crusher with off adjusters that I tighten after an adjustment is made. it crushes fine after a few spins then it just spins, I re adjust it works for a few spins and then it .freespins. it's doing me 'ead in.

I can't see how or why it is doing this. I stripped it down, same thing again. Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

If your mill has small rollers, you are likely running into a product of "Nip Angle Theory" there is a critical angle where the grain is grabbed and squeezed between the rollers. Get too big an angle and the grain wont feed, it gets spat back out rather than being drawn into the rollers.
Textured rollers help, speed of rotation, feed pressure... all count but small smooth rollers are the worst.
You might need to crush twice, the first time with a bigger gap then a second pass at a finer setting
Mark
upload_2019-5-4_5-42-38.png

You might need to crush twice, the first time with a bigger gap then a second pass at a finer setting
Mark
View attachment 115614

You could also try giving the grain a light squirt with a spray bottle of water before milling.
It works for me, but does make cleaning the knurled rollers a bit more work afterwards.

What I've noticed is the adjusting mechanism is an off centre shaft which raises and lowers the roller, so what you are saying might have a lot to do with it. It's strange though that it was working well for about a year and is now stuffing up.

I'd say the knurling has worn down. Take a close look at the rollers and see if it has been smoothed down. It's the same issue the mash master mills had. If it's just a cheapo, get a new one. If not send it back. I used to swear at mine every weekend, i get your frustration.

You could also try giving the grain a light squirt with a spray bottle of water before milling.
It works for me, but does make cleaning the knurled rollers a bit more work afterwards.
This. Last 2 times mine was continually spinning and had to jiggle the free roller all the time. Conditioned the grain with 2% water and no issues at all today. Letting the rollers dry a bit before hitting the with a brush.

Back