Grain Crush

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quoting Dicko from earlier inthe thread
My mill rollers are set to .086"inches clearance for the top and .070" inches clearance for the bottom

Just wanted to say thanks Dicko for the MARGA MILL measurements. I went with what you said, and although the mash is only just going in, I can already see I'm set for better efficiency. Much better (and quicker) crush than i was ever getting before.

Cheers Mate

Edited to include the Mill in question

Boots said:
Quoting Dicko from earlier inthe thread
My mill rollers are set to .086"inches clearance for the top and .070" inches clearance for the bottom

Just wanted to say thanks Dicko for the MARGA MILL measurements. I went with what you said, and although the mash is only just going in, I can already see I'm set for better efficiency. Much better (and quicker) crush than i was ever getting before.

Cheers Mate

Edited to include the Mill in question
[post="65100"][/post]​

Hi Boots,
Glad it all went OK.
Although I have upgraded, I still have a soft spot for the Marga :p
For their original price they do a pretty good job - It is a shame the price has risen due IMO, solely from the demand in the HB industry in Aus.
Cheers

Hi all,
Please give me comments on how my crush looks.
It looks too fine to me.
I have just put about 150 grams through the mill.

johnno

crush.JPG

looks like a bit much "flour" compared to how I do mine on a Marga,maybe a bit more gap?

deadly said:
looks like a bit much "flour" compared to how I do mine on a Marga,maybe a bit more gap?
[post="113888"][/post]​
Johhno, I have a feeling that you are going to get some varied comments. It is hard to make a judgement just by looking at a picture. Having said that, It looks quite good to me. It seems to have some flour consistency but there are also some intact husks to do the filtering. Your real test is in the making. If you do not have a stuck mash and your Mash Efficiency is good than the crush is good. On the other hand if you have a Stuck Mash than it is too fine. Remember that everybodies system is different. To me it looks fine.

Cheers.
PeterS.... :beer:

Well said Peter.
Its too true, every ones system is diferent.
I have been looking at a few pictures and they all look different yet similar. :D
I will suck it and see when i brew in a couple of days. :beer:

johnno

Hey Johnno!

If it's Powells should be good to get you up to 65% efficiency! :lol:

Other than that looks OK to me. :beerbang:

Warren -

It looks a little bit fine to me.

nonicmans crush looks like what i get and i get 75 to 80 % efficiency.

you are better off with a fine crush than a course one i have found. A course crush will give bad efficiency

Give it a go and see what happens.

Definatly try the water in the grain thing.

I tried this when i started AG brewing and posted my ideas on Grumpys and got laughed at :blink:

Now people are starting to realise the difference it makes.

I use baby food jars. For a 20 t0 25 liter batch od regular strenght beer i use a small jar.

For a 45 to 50 liter batch i use a big jar.

I think they are 70 Mls and 120 Mls respectivly.

put the grain in a container , tip the water in and get your hasnd and arms in and mix it around till the grain is all damp.

Cover and let it stand for 10 to 15 min or untill the grain has soaked up the water and it doesnt fell wet any more and run it through the mill.

I find you can get a finer crack and better efficiency with less husk damage and a better sparge.

I set my mill gap at 0.9mm

And it will only foul the rollers if you dont leave if for the 10 min to soak the water into the husks. they arnt actually "wet" when you crack it.

cheers

This might be handy for anyone else looking for what a good crush looks like. I'm just trying to sort out my mill now and im getting a crush somewhat like sosmans.

perhaps this should be linked too from a wiki unless someone has some better pics offer?

Nice pick.
I haven't got a pick but I get mine crushed @ brewshop.
Often I have to take 1/3 out and crush it properly to ensure I reached descent efficiencies.
matti

Nice pick.
I haven't got a pick but I get mine crushed @ brewshop.
Often I have to take 1/3 out and crush it properly to ensure I reached descent efficiencies.
matti

Huh :huh: If you have to pull out a 1/3rd and recrush,I would presume you already have a mill!
Why not just crush it all yourself to begin with(to your satisfaction) dispense with the ordinary shop milling?

Brau!
No mill yet but will make one soon.
Crushe gently by hand with kitchen bread roll hehehe
took me an 1h 1/2

I have merged this topic with another that was started around the same time and has similar information.

cheers
johnno

Back