Grain Choices

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenewenger

Reaction score
Having Just completed My first AG it has got me thinking about what particular grain supplier I would like to try to stick to . I know that different grains from different countiries impart different flavours and the like.
Does anyone else try and stick to one grain company or do you use the grains depending on the style You want to make and what the HBS has in stock .

Cheers
AW :D

I Just go Joe White all the time, it may not be top shelf but its generally of a very good quality and around the price I am happy to pay.

Different grains for different beers for me. It partly depends on what style I'm going for. As in, why not use some Maris Otter for that British bitter, Weyermann for German styles etc. That said, I often stick to Aussie grains. Perhaps not quite as good for the beer, but much better for my wallet. :beerbang:

DrewCarey82

Joe white is what i am leaning towards Myself the price seems right to me and the quality seems to be very goos as well , will be interested to see what others think . Was going to add a poll to this but not sure how i messed it up but I did

AW

I've only used a couple of different grain suppliers (JW and Powells). I'm planning on going back to JW once I finish with my Powells, due to efficiency probs, but as its cheaper, it doesn't cost much for a couple of extra kilos if you decided to have a play around with Powells.

I am yet to try the protein rest @ 55C as advised to see if it helps though. Must remember to do that on the next brew!

Edit: I am also looking forward to using Maris Otter and Golden Promise grains too for some good old Hand Pumped English Ales...........................ok they won't be hand pumped but I can dream can't I?

Whats a protein rest? Is that something you do after a sparge.

My supplier reckons they work well, and his about as good as you get at this game ndbrewing.com.au is his website.

No affiliation ect.

Different grains for different beers for me. It partly depends on what style I'm going for. As in, why not use some Maris Otter for that British bitter, Weyermann for German styles etc.
totally agree :beer:
Weyermann Pilsner is awesome, Bairds MO is awesome. why restrict yourself with one brand?

My supplier reckons they work well, and his about as good as you get at this game ndbrewing.com.au is his website.

No affiliation ect.

protein rest is a rest at 45-55 degrees at the start of the mash or after the acid rest... check out the AG section of howtobrew.com for more info on that. Basically the enzymes at that temperature break down protein chains into smaller amino acid units, which helps increase the nitrogen level of the mash. Also helps break down the grains a bit which is one of the supposed problems with Powell's.

Definitely different grains and suppliers for me to suit the brew.
Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter and Thomas Fawcett Crystal make a Brit Bitter which blows the Joe White equivalent out of the water. Bairds are superior as well. It may be an unfair comparison - TF MO vs JW Trad - but even the standard crystals are noticeably different... same order of quality TF, Bairds, JW.
The best way to find out is to try them and see what difference it makes for you. If you're perfectly happy with brews made with local grains at about half the price, then why not?

No affiliation ect.

protein rest is a rest at 45-55 degrees at the start of the mash or after the acid rest... check out the AG section of howtobrew.com for more info on that. Basically the enzymes at that temperature break down protein chains into smaller amino acid units, which helps increase the nitrogen level of the mash. Also helps break down the grains a bit which is one of the supposed problems with Powell's.

How long do you hold it @ that temp for, and is just one of those things that people do for the sake of doing?

Ah I see days long enough as is with partials without adding.

Good stuff.

Latest posts

Back