Grain Bulk Buy Sydney Putting My Hand Up!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkaos

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
It's been a while since a Syd bulk buy, so I thought I would put it out there. Hopefully other people are thinking of it too, and have the logistical room to do it. Unfortunately JB Brew Supplies in Cronulla have moved to Melbourne, so we'll have to find another way.

Cheers,

Clint

I'm up for it but I have no idea where the best place to go would be.... I missed out on Melbourne's last bulk buy :(

Yeah, I would think not? If you're keen for a drive to get grain you may as well buy it from the LHBS?

Damn I just bought a couple of sacks!
For a bulk buy you could talk to ESB or Absolute Homebrew.

I'm new here, but can I get involved ? Tentatively put me down for a sack of wheat and a sack of pale, not fussed on the brand. Maybe a sack of Maris Otter if you're going down that path and the price is good.

Am in Sydney.

Well, just bought a Crankandstein, so I'm definitely up for a bag or two now... :D

What sort of timeframe are you thinking on this buy, Clint ? I just checked my stocks and only have enough for two more brews. A tragedy awaits ! Plus it's time to gear up for competition season.

Absolute Homebrew in Sydney's western suburbs seem to have the lowest retail price, so maybe we should approach Pat Casey and see if he can do a wholesale deal on a few dozen sacks. Should I ask him through the week for lets say a per sack price on 20, 40 & 60 mixed Joe White varieties, or another brand if that's what the consensus is?

Damn I just bought a couple of sacks!
For a bulk buy you could talk to ESB or Absolute Homebrew.

i will not participate if it is via esb

otherwise i'll be in for 2 or 3 sacks

We should keep that out of the thread, these things get nasty, fast.

I don't have the space to store a pallet, perhaps the order can be made with Pat @ Absolute and everyone just pays him. It saves storage, as well as me having to handle cash.

Jay Cee, as discussed via PM you've been speaking with Pat recently and it sounds like his off the shelf pricing is great anyway. Can you find out where he sources his grain, and then we can get the pricelist from them. I presume CB?

Cheers,

Clint

PS I had to get some grain the other week so I bought a sack of wheat and ale from my local Country Brewer. That being said, I still want to get specialty grain, so will be involved in buying something at least.

We should keep that out of the thread, these things get nasty, fast.

I don't have the space to store a pallet, perhaps the order can be made with Pat @ Absolute and everyone just pays him. It saves storage, as well as me having to handle cash.

Jay Cee, as discussed via PM you've been speaking with Pat recently and it sounds like his off the shelf pricing is great anyway. Can you find out where he sources his grain, and then we can get the pricelist from them. I presume CB?

Cheers,

Clint

PS I had to get some grain the other week so I bought a sack of wheat and ale from my local Country Brewer. That being said, I still want to get specialty grain, so will be involved in buying something at least.

are you going to organise this or are you shirking from what you started ?

By CB you mean Craftbrewer? Why would one home brew shop get their supplies from another home brew shop ?

Or, for that matter, why would I ask, or expect, a retailer to hand over his supplier details, and lose out entirely on a sale?

I don't know how these bulk buys work, maybe I'm missing something here. If you wanted to go directly to the source, call Bintani. Although I doubt they'll deal with small, one-off orders.

Will PM you tonight, Clint.

Well it is looking like this bulk buy has up and died in the arse. The SEQ guys have all but filled 2 pallets and we don't even have a price/availability list yet.
I'll just buy mine directly from Pat.

Thanks for the good intentions though.

Yeah sorry about that, I was hoping that someone with space would say yes they can take it like last time. I don't have the space to store a pallet, so I can't be of much help.

Back