Grain Bulk Buy - Syd

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've just started to get back into brewing, and as such am in need of some base grains again.

I've been looking through here to see if there has been any bulk buys lately and fortunately for me there hasn't. So with any luck that means I will be run off my feet with interest.

I'm looking at going through craftbrewer.

You can see prices and stock here: Craftbrewer bulk grain

Freight to Sydney is $120 for a pallet so will work out at $3-$6 a bag on top of the listed prices depending on the quantity ordered.

I'm not too sure on delivery logistics yet, so if there is someone who works from home or has a nice central point for delivery that would make things a little smoother. I could possibly organise it from home, but I'm not very central and pickup from my place wouldn't be great hours.

So for now list what you want below. I will put it in a mroe elegant format when I know we have the necessary interest.

Whole Bags

Marris Otter - Berto
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner - Berto

Partial bags
Weyermann pale wheat 1/2 bag - Berto

Definitely interested.

To those that are too lazy to open the link, sacks are 25kg each and all grain is un-milled. To see the options then you'll definitely have to open the link as there's plenty there to pick from.

Tentatively speaking, I'd probably be going with Pale/Pilsner, Vienna, Munich, Marris Otter and Wheat. Still unsure of quantities and still not certain I can entirely commit (have yet to acquire a mill as, until now, I have always bought pre-milled grain.)

Berto, we're not only going to need to have a central shipping/collection point but, with partial sacks, are going to need to have somewhere where the sacks can be divided.

Oh my god, a bulk buy of Grain in Sydney at last!

I'm keen for a couple of whole bags, need to look at what I want to make going forward and then I'll post in here.

While I'm at it, anyone got a mill for sale?

Just started in the AG so im keen for 3 or 4 bags.

Im in the Sutherland shire.

Shane

Great idea - but would recommend you setup a google spreadsheet to make the process of tracking/money counting so much easier.

Illawarra just did one - here's the link - its read only now but should be a good starting point. Prices are current.

Bulk Buy Spreadsheet

For those not familar with the process - the google spreadsheet is editable by everyone until the owner locks it down. So basically everyone can add/edit/delete their own orders until the pallet fills up - then the sheet gets locked. Payment is then made to the coordinator - and once its all been received the order goes out. Works really well. Much better than having to do a new post here every time you want to add/change something.

G'day guys,

I'm new to all grain brewing, I'm interested in buying grain in bulk as well. What grain do you recomend to buy for the base malts? I like ales but I would like to brew a variety of different beers as well.

Fitzy

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was just looking into buying some grain by the sack yesterday and now this post comes up! My god must be smiling on me.

Anyway, I will put my hand up for 3 - 4 bags

Thanks,

Bender

It does sound good. When are you looking at making the order? I've got some maths to do.

Onya Berto, great timing! With a grain mill in the mail, I am up for a couple sacks.

Whole Bags

Marris Otter - Berto
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner - Berto
Weyermann Pils - Jord
BB Ale - Jord

Partial bags
Weyermann pale wheat 1/2 bag - Berto

OK Guys,
I'm building a google docs spreadsheet at the moment. I'll try and load it up soon But Excel is just so much nicer.

I might try and do it there then upload it after.

OK Guys,
I'm building a google docs spreadsheet at the moment. I'll try and load it up soon But Excel is just so much nicer.

I might try and do it there then upload it after.

Sheet is made, but I can't verify my account. It's not sending me the verification email. As soon as it does this I can share the file.

Will post the link once that is done.

Re: uncracked grain.
I would say it would be no worries for 12 months. Will keep much longer (I found some 5 yr old grain I forgot about the other day with no obvious problems) but I'm not sure what it loses flavourwise.

It does sound good. When are you looking at making the order? I've got some maths to do.

Nick I will place an order once we reach the max of 36 bags.

Or anywhere between 20 and 36 bags if it looks like interest has run out.

Hey Berto

I'll have 3 full sacks of

Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner
BB Ale
BB Wheat

Thanks fitzy

OK guys,
the spreadsheet is here. But I haven't opened it for mass editing at this stage. If you are unable to edit let me know and I will add you to the list.

Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob,

Could you put my name on the list, would love to order.

Cheers,

Shane

Hi Rob,

I dont seam to be able to edit the sheet, are you able to allow me to edit my column.

Thanks in advanced for orginizing this, and the bulk buy.

Shane

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, just one more question is this the only grain availiable for bulk buy at this time.

Regards,

Shane

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, just one more question is this the only grain availiable for bulk buy at this time.

Regards,

Shane

OK, editing is now open to all.
Hopefully this goes ok.

What other grain are you looking at?

Back