Grain Brands And Use By Period?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Pale malt is a misleading term. It can mean either ale or pilsner/lager malt depending on who's using it, or where. For example Barrett Burston labels its base malts as Ale malt and Pale malt.

2. Shelf life of malted barley is reckoned to be up to two years from packaging, obviously the fresher the better. It doesn't matter what you're making, the fresher the ingredients the better the product. Surely that should take precedence over sphincter aperture and buying up big.

3. Weyermann produce four pilsner malts: Pilsner, Premium Pilsner, Bohemian Pilsner and Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner. I stock the Pilsner and the Floor Malt.

4. Barrett Burston or Joe White, it's a toss of a coin. Whichever is available and fresh is the better. They are pefectably reasonable malts, if you can't brew a good beer from these malts (assuming they are fresh) then the problem rests with you. Some of the imported malts are superior malts, not because they are imported but because the importer has chosen a superior malt to import.

5. I despise the term "boutique", but you'll understand what I mean when I say we need a couple of boutique maltsters and the farmers to supply them.

6. I assume the gentleman from Colac has a mill.

Pat
Absolute Homebrew
Casey's Beer

Hope I managed to sort you out Jus....don't forget the grain I've got over at my place for you too....give me a shout when you want to come and grab it.

Just dragging up an old thread but do the 25KG bags have a manufactured date printed on them? More specifically Simpson malts?

Weyermann malts have best before dates on them. I just checked :D

Thanks, I got my bag of Golden Promise. Just off the boat., manufactured May this year.

Latest posts

Back