Grain bottled-Berlinerweiss has turned red?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
So this is a bit weird.

I've got a batch of berlinerweiss which I brewed in January, straight lacto for a few days before adding the WL berlinerweiss blend. The beer was racked to secondary after a month or maybe two, where it sat for something like four or six months. Accurate records.

When I bottled, I put a small amount of crushed grain in some bottles to try a lactic secondary. I've had various non-grain bottles over recent months and they've been as expected - very light gold.

I just cracked the grain bottle, and it came out a very strange raspberry jam red. Still fairly see-through and light, but a very red hue. See pic here: http://instagram.com/p/hpZ57xS7nL/# which doesn't quite capture it right, but hopefully you get the drift.

The grain itself: http://instagram.com/p/hpbkUVy7pg/# kinda purple.

Is there something in the lactic ferment that could have caused this colour? Or am I about to die from botulism?

I wonder if it the same as whatever generates a staining purple mould on unwashed grain buckets and crap I have left lying around. I can't find anything specific about it though. Closest thing I could find

X gibberella, the reproductive stage of fusarium -- dark pink, red or purple. Produces:
* gibberellin, a plant hormone that promotes cell elongation and is good for flower formation, and seedling growth;
* vomitoxin or deoxynivalenol, an estrogen toxin that causes anorexia or lack of weight gain in animals but is not considered highly toxic in humans (that is, you would have to eat a lot of infected grain to be affected by it); and
* zearalenone, a mycoestrogen that causes abortions in animals.
There are so many varieties of microorganisms though it seems pretty silly to guess which one it is though.

The pH would be too low for botulism to grow at least.

Interesting stuff. I'm not pregnant, but I just looked down at my belly nad noticed significant weight gain. I am blaming purple vomitoxin.

Latest posts

Back