Grain Bill Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmC

Reaction score
G'day all, i have just finished bottling my 6th All Grain beer (been doing half batches) and i need some help with the some new recipes, so far i have tried ;

Nick's 9L Stovetop recipe
Smash Citra Ale
Goomba's Duff Street Darkie
2 different versions of DrSmurto's JSGA Clone
And an Ale recipe that i made up

I really like the Smash Citra Ale and DrSmurto's JSGA clone but i found that the move from kit to all grain was pretty steep, i tried my Coopers Pale Ale kit and my Ale and my kit tasted like nothing whereas the AG ale i made had a really malty hoppy flavour. Just wondering if anyone has tried some recipes out there that dont have such a hard hop/malt flavour (im still training my craft beer palate) was thinking about adding some rice to a simple recipe to get what im looking? Was looking at putting a brew on tomorrow and this is what i have on hand;

2kg Perle Ale
7.5kg Pilsner
2kg Wheat Malt
500g Choc Rye
700g Caramunich I
500g Chocolate Wheat
700g Pale Chocolate
1kg Munich I

Hops
Cluster - 60g
Centennial - 50g
Amarillo - 50g
Cascade - 50g
Fuggles - 20g

Yeast
Danstar Nottingham
US-05

Happy to go for a dark/light beer. Going to make another order soon from Ross so post any recipe's as i want to try some different beers. :icon_cheers:

You didn't say what yeast/s you have on hand; that will be the clincher. Nice looking load of grains.

Not malty nor hoppy you say eh?

For a half batch (10 L) of simple and yummy wheat beer: 1kg of Wheat & 1 kg of Pilsner. Mash at 68oC for good body, ferment warm (say 21 for a fair banana flavour). Any number of yeast choices. Hallertau hops, I used Vanguard. Nice and creamy mouthfeel, not too sweet and plenty of banana tones.

You might not get near it once the missus has a go at it. Fortunately mine rarely drinks so I had it all to myself; still didn't last long though! I made one with coriander seed and orange peel but it wasn't as good (it may have had other issues).

A good liquid yeast and good temperature control* for the fermentation will help with any beer.

Edit: * particulalry in Mackay

Sorry i will put them up now. Dont get me wrong i love the malty hoppiness but i think its very overpowering in my beers and i dont get a heap of flavour from the hops, might not have used enough flavouring hops though. I like the idea of a wheat beer, would probably go for US-05, would be a stable temp of 19-20 around most parts if i wrap it in a wet towel. Thanks for the suggestion, will also put up what hops i have on hand.

Sorry i will put them up now. Dont get me wrong i love the malty hoppiness but i think its very overpowering in my beers and i dont get a heap of flavour from the hops, might not have used enough flavouring hops though. I like the idea of a wheat beer, would probably go for US-05, would be a stable temp of 19-20 around most parts if i wrap it in a wet towel. Thanks for the suggestion, will also put up what hops i have on hand.
confused?you say its to hoppy but then say you dont get much hop flavor?do u meen bitterness?malty for malt strong flavor then theres hop flavor(such as the spiciness of ekg or the fruitiness of cascade etc)hop bitterness (the bitter twang after a mouthfull)or hop aroma (the smell of course)

Sorry that was worded badly, i get a lot of bitterness and malty characteristics, but very little flavour/aroma from the hops (amarillo) which should be somewhat fruity?

How about ?
4kg Pils
400 Munich
250Wheat
20gm Cas @60 or adjust to 30IBU
20gm Cent @ 20
10gm Amo @ 10
10gm Amo @ 0
S-o5
Try puting that in Beersmith or similar.
Daz

Edit; Doh! I type too slow. Up the late amo for flav/aroma to taste.

Hi TmC,

The best thing about home brewing is brewing to your personal taste. Brewing with rice will lighten up the body a bit, but there is a bit of extra process. You need to gelatinize the rice before mashing. Personally, I prefer to use simple table sugar if the end goal is to lighten the flavour/body.

Try this:

Starting gravity of 1.047 using:
90% Pilsner malt (mashed at 65*C for an hour)
10% Sugar (dissolved in kettle at end of boil)

20 to 25 IBU's of bitterness using cluster boiled for 60mins.

From this you will have a generic Aussie ale wort to ferment. Use your US05 yeast at ~20*C (hydrate before pitching). When ferment has finished, have a taste and decide if you want to dry hop for a bit more aroma and flavour. To decide what hop you like, try making a few hop teas with a few pellets of your stock.

Start with 1 gram per litre for 4 days. Take notes and adjust on a re-brew if need be

To lock in the flavour or aroma hop additions into a brew: If you don't have a chiller device for cooling the wort quickly and you slow chill as I do, the Argon Method is a beauty for late hop additions.

Cook your wort with 60 min hop additions but no 20 minutes additions or other short time additions. Put hot wort into plastic jerry can, cool in fridge to 4oC.
Next day or when you are ready to brew the wort, take 3-4 L (can't remember exact amount) and bring to the boil; add flavour hops and boil for 20 mins (can also add hops at 15, 10 or 5 - whatever takes your fancy). Tip about half of the remaining 4oC wort into fermenter. Tip 3-4 L of boiled wort into fermenter through a collander/strainer. Add remaining cooled wort to fermenter. Temp of wort in fermenter should be 18oC. You have rapidly cooled the wort with the flavour or aroma hop additions and locked them into the brew.

For even more aroma from the hops, throw some into the ferementer after 3-4 days of brewing. Dry hopping like this will add aroma to the beer. It will also add some cloudiness but that is ok because it will taste good.

Ok thanks Jaz, had a play with beer calculus and this is what i've come up with.

Batch Volume = 9 Litres

Fermentables
1.5kg Pilsner Malt
250g Sugar

OG - 1047
FG - 1012

Hops

10g Cluster @ 60
Dry Hop as Needed

Ok thanks Jaz, had a play with beer calculus and this is what i've come up with.

Batch Volume = 9 Litres

Fermentables
1.5kg Pilsner Malt
250g Sugar

OG - 1047
FG - 1012

Hops

10g Cluster @ 60
Dry Hop as Needed

Let me know if it is what you were after when you taste.

Latest posts

Back