Grain Bill For A Gernam Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, I am not sure if I used Weyermann or hoepfner.

Cheers
Andrew

Both Andrews,

Now to chuck my two bob's worth in regarding hops for your Pilsner.
I was lucky enough to purchase some of this seasons New Zealand Saaz B Hop Cones.
Trust me, these are fantastic hops. I have not been able to get any for three years and I pleaded with the folks at New Zealand hops to sell some direct to me and they did.
I do not know if they are available from any of the brew shops but you could only try. I know the pellets area available though.
Weyermann Pilsner or Bohemian Pilsner malt, 5% Weyermann Cara Pils, Saaz B Hops and Whitelabs WLP802 (Czech Budejovice Lager) and you will be as happy as Larry.

Lindsay.

Lindsay Dive said:
Both Andrews,

Now to chuck my two bob's worth in regarding hops for your Pilsner.
I was lucky enough to purchase some of this seasons New Zealand Saaz B Hop Cones.
Trust me, these are fantastic hops. I have not been able to get any for three years and I pleaded with the folks at New Zealand hops to sell some direct to me and they did.
I do not know if they are available from any of the brew shops but you could only try. I know the pellets area available though.
Weyermann Pilsner or Bohemian Pilsner malt, 5% Weyermann Cara Pils, Saaz B Hops and Whitelabs WLP802 (Czech Budejovice Lager) and you will be as happy as Larry.

Lindsay.
[post="75206"][/post]​

Lindsay,
I don't suppose you have any of those Saaz B hops lying around that you would be willing to sell do you :rolleyes: I would love to give the cones a go. I would even be tempted to try your recipe including the carapils :eek: just to be fair :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew,

I treat this stuff like gold leaf!!

Regards,
Lindsay.

Oops I have 100g of those NZ SaazB flowers in my fridge and wasnt sure what to do with them, used some in a CAP cos I wanted to get rid of them. I stand corrected and will use the rest in a German pilsner. Sorry Andrew that wont leave any to post. But I got mine of a guy who bouught directly from the hop board in NZ and said they were great to deal with and didnt mind small orders. They really are fresh and resiny.

What happened to the Pils debate?

To me 100% Pils malt = Koelsch

But then again nearly every HB koelsch that I've come across has been 'fiddled' with "a bit of wheat, a touch of carapils, a little Vienna or Munich malt!!!

The problem with the interpretation of guidelines is that you also need to drink German Pilsners and also commercial Koelsch and ideally in Germany. Then one can truly interpret the guidelines.

tdh

tdh

GL the nz hop board are great to deal with as i got great service from when i was in NZ and sell pellets in 100grms lots in sealed foil bags and cheap maybee a good idea iwth a next bulk buy to get some kiwi hops as they have german and english ones as well.....

tdh said:
What happened to the Pils debate?

To me 100% Pils malt = Koelsch

But then again nearly every HB koelsch that I've come across has been 'fiddled' with "a bit of wheat, a touch of carapils, a little Vienna or Munich malt!!!

The problem with the interpretation of guidelines is that you also need to drink German Pilsners and also commercial Koelsch and ideally in Germany. Then one can truly interpret the guidelines.
[post="75275"][/post]​
I'm up for a Pils debate!
I'm no fan of style guidelines but I'd be willing to bet that there are numerous commercial examples of Klsch, German Pils, Bohemian Pils, Helles and "Premium"/Continental Lager all made with 100% Pils malt. The thing that differentiates them to me is the hops (primarily) and the yeast (second.) The mashing regime would obviously also have quite an influence.

Personally I don't feel the need for CaraPils in a Pilsener (or any style for that matter) because I get sufficient body without it.

And Klsch is crap anyway - it needs wheat/Vienna/Munich/hops to make it more interesting :p

I put down a German Pils last night: Half Hoepfner, half Weyermann Pils malt with 300g of Weyermann Carapils. Bittered with Northern Brewer and had two late additions of fresh Tettnanger. Yeast is 2L of S-189 slurry from a Czech Pils...
Without the Carapils, I'm brewing a Koelsch...
And you don't need to mash the stuff - so its great for extract brewers who want to improve head without the cloying additions of dextrin / powdered corn syrup.

I rarely brew without Carapils - it doesn't sweeten the brew and if it did add any of the alleged crystal notes that people keep referring to, then you are either mashing at the wrong temp, have your hopping additions out of balance or you are using the wrong yeast. I had an email chat with John Palmer and one of the former Breiss Employees / gurus about Carapils (I can copy/paste it in if people want), and the general consensus is that Carapils (Weyermann or Breiss) does not add any noticeable flavour in addition to the dextrins that it adds to the brew...

Leave carapils alone - it's great for lasting rocky heads of foam on tall glasses of crystal clear pils!!

/rant off - I'm needing one right now!!/

Cheers,
TL
Edit: sp.

Trough Lolly said:
... the general consensus is that Carapils (Weyermann or Breiss) does not add any noticeable flavour in addition to the dextrins that it adds to the brew...
[post="75328"][/post]​
So why not just mash higher then? :)

Trough lolly, i agree with you, i use cara pils for a lot of beers, and i dont notice any sweetness at all. I have made 100% pils malt pilseners, but i believe the cara pils gives it a bit extra.

Supplies have been purchased.

6kg Powells Pilsner Malt.
500 g Powells Munich malt.

80g of Hellertau pellets.

Will let you know how this baby goes.

Cheers,

Andrew

P.S The nect project is for a munich dunkel...i was thinking 100% Powells munich malt with wyeast 2308 and 20-23 IBU's.

If you can get any, try say 10-20 % weyerman dark munich in your next brew.

Regaurding the carapils, because it doesn't need mashing, it becomes a prime candidate for a split batch brew, some with carapils, some without.

Well I am now drinking a Pilsner that had about 7% Carapils (WEYERMANN) from mem. it was 500grams in a 25 litre batch. IMO It has turned out a bit too sweet. I mashed cool, between 64 & 62 deg C so I can only put it down to the Carapils. I also First wort hopped with 50g Saaz then 50g Saaz for 60min boil and 50g Saaz for 10min's. Its not a bad drop but it is still very green and I will see how things develop. Its only been in the bottle for 4 weeks.

STEPHEN

I'm with Trough Lolly on this one.....well, for most.
I have a problem.
Koelsch = Ale. Am I off on a tangent?
If I wish to make a Koelsch as opposed to a Pilsner, I basically use the same malt bill as the Pilsner with but with a European Ale Yeast.
I'll leave the hops out of the discussion at present.

Regards,
Lindsay.

But a Koelsch is drier and less malty than a Pils and requires a single grain (maybe a touch of wheat).
The recommended Wyeast 2565 works at 13*C, essentially a cold fermented ale.
A pils needs to be maltier than a Koelsch and Carapils does the trick.

tdh

TDH,

What would be your preferred malt bill for a pils then?

Direct from Whitelabs site,

European Ale WLP011.
Malty, Northern European-origin ale yeast. Low ester production, giving a clean profile. Little to no sulfur production. Low attenuation helps to contribute to the malty character. Good for Alt, Kolsch, malty English ales, and fruit beers.
Attenuation: 65-70; Flocculation: Medium; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 65-70.

Am I still missing something?

Regards,
Lindsay.

tdh said:
A pils needs to be maltier than a Koelsch and Carapils does the trick.

Hang on TDH, didn't someone else post that Carapils dosen't add any noticeable flavour? How can it add to the maltiness of the beer then?

The only reason I don't use Carapils is because the supposed benefits of head retention and body are not things that my 100% Pils beers have lacked. If they did have these problems them I might look at Carapils.

And in regards to the difference I would have thought that this comes down to the yeast you use and the more aggresive hop schedule of a pils.

1 grain, 1 hop (with bittering, flavour and aroma additions at 60/15/0) a good lager yeast, fermented cold and lagered makes for a fine Pilsner.

Cheers
MAH

Malnourished said:
agraham said:
I will be using Tetnanger hops and Wyeast munich lager yeast.
[post="75105"][/post]​
Not that I'm trying to completely ruin your plans, but I'd be careful with that yeast. I've never used it but it has a reputation for being very finicky. I would think you'd want to pitch real big, ferment cold, diacetyl rest, lager a long time blah blah blah. That said, it's supposed to make real good beer so you might as well go for it.

Used it and loved it. Earlier this year I made a 100% pils and 100% tettnanger German Pilsner.

I split the batch and pitched half with Danish Lager and half with Munich Lager. Both very at the top of beers I'd made. The Danish came out really nice and crisp and was perfect for summer drinking. The Munich was smoother, maltier, more complex, more refined. Strange thing though was that the Danish, even though it wasn't as full flavoured, got drunk quicker, there was just something about it's crisp character that made you want to drink one after the other.

I reckon the Munich would make a great Vienna lager using nothing but 100% Vienna malt (maybe 30mgs of some roasted malt for colour adjustment).

Cheers
MAH

Back