Grain Bill For A Gernam Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agraham

Reaction score
I was wondering what grain bill you folks would recommend for an all grain German Pilsner. I was thinking 5 kg of Pils malt with 2-500 grams of Munich for color and maltyness.

Thoughts?

I personally go with just 100% pils malt. Lots of people advocate the addition of Carapils, but I don't understand why when you're trying to make a dry beer you would want to add any form of crystal malt. An all-grain beer even made with just pils malt should have no problems with head retention and if you want added body then just mash at a bit higher temperature.

Your suggestion of using 200-500gms of Munich would also make for a nice pils.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
I personally go with just 100% pils malt...
[post="75092"][/post]​
Seconded! German pils malt to be more specific. It gives heaps of malt flavour on its own in my experience.

I was gonna use Powells malt, bought and crushed from Grain and Grape...

As I am new to brewing this will only be my 6th brew, and second all grain. I am happy to use the cheaper grains while i am still learning, however i dont want to end up with a poor beer if the powells malt is really that poor in quality.

Cheers,

Andrew

Powells mlat will be fine, but my preference is for Weyermann Pils.

The grain bill will not be the big determinig factor for your beer, IMHO the selection of yeast and fermentation regime will have the biggest impact, followed by hop selection and schedule.

What yeast and hops are you going to use?

Cheers
MAH

6th brew and 2nd all grain.

Go to it!

100% pilsner malt, simple and easy recipe. Don't think just because it is an easy recipe that it is only beginners stuff. Am heading towards my 100th ag brew, and one of the recent batches was 100% Weyermann pilsner malt with all saaz hops.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I will be using Tetnanger hops and Wyeast munich lager yeast.

Might also use Norther Brewer just for the bittering, havnt decided yet.

I have to wait till I have a spare fermentor beofre i can brew this one.

Fermentation will be:
-In primary until it has nearly reached final gravity
-Rack to secondary and lager at 10c in bathtub of water for 2-3 weeks
-Bottle and enjoy!

Cheers,

Andrew

MAH said:
I personally go with just 100% pils malt.

Gotta agree, I am drinking one with 100% weyermann pils, tetnanger hops & Euorpoean lager yeast. Best lager I have managed to make, unfortunately the keg is emptying fast.

I've got a German Pils on tap ATM. Has Tettnanger as late and final additions.

Personally I don't care for it. Hallertau, Hersbrucker, Saaz etc. always seem to be better choices. The Tettnanger seems too grassy/vegetal.

Second 100% Pils Malt too. I've got a bit of CaraPils in it too. Seems to make the body a little too flabby.

Warren -

agraham said:
I will be using Tetnanger hops and Wyeast munich lager yeast.
[post="75105"][/post]​
Not that I'm trying to completely ruin your plans, but I'd be careful with that yeast. I've never used it but it has a reputation for being very finicky. I would think you'd want to pitch real big, ferment cold, diacetyl rest, lager a long time blah blah blah. That said, it's supposed to make real good beer so you might as well go for it.

And I'm with Warren on the Tettnang too - seems more suited to ales to me, though I've used it for FWH/bittering in a few lagers of late.

I am assuming that you will be fermenting the primary between 10-14C, when you reach 3/4 toward final gravity, a brief rest at 18-20C for 48 hours to clear up any diacetyl/off flavours really helps. This is especially important if you pitch warm in the primary then cool to ferment temp. Lagering should be at as close to 0 C as you can maintain, 10 C sounds too close to primary ferment temps and would not really 'lager' the beer at all.

Cheers

I would also have to agree with the comments about using carapils. My pilsner brews that used carapils all seemed a bit 'full'. However they did have grate head in the glass. I would use no more than 200g of carapils if you must, however substituting for 200g of light munich would be a better option for head retention/colour/malt profile.....

Cheers

Green Iguana said:
I would also have to agree with the comments about using carapils. My pilsner brews that used carapils all seemed a bit 'full'. However they did have grate head in the glass. I would use no more than 200g of carapils if you must, however substituting for 200g of light munich would be a better option for head retention/colour/malt profile.....

Cheers
[post="75115"][/post]​

Cara pils in a pilsner is really a big no-no, a good pils is malty but DRY and is not cloying and sweet. And as POL says simple is the best, 100% pilsner malt and all Saaz, and I will add, you need to LAGER a good Pils, the difference between conditioning for a few weeks and lagering for a couple of months is astounding, the complexity of the malt and hops blends to a smooth, dry slightly bitter brew with wonderful hop aroma and flavour that sort of mingles. I think I am getting a little excited here :huh: . What I am trying to say is, a 1 malt, 1 hop(with several additions) beer is a thing of beauty, and when you get it right, you will know it.
sorry about all that.
Andrew

ANDREW, Your excited, its 8.12am and I am getting excited too. I never thought I would feel like a Pilsner at this hour of the day.
But "agraham" for what s worth if your going to the trouble of doing a nice AG pils dont be a tight wad and use Northern brewer. Spend the extra $5 and go big load of Saaz r a good noble hop. Or even first wort hop. Its worth the effort.

STEPHEN

I will see what the guys at G&G think, as i think saaz hops leans away from a german style pils...not that i would complain.

Thanks for all the help lads. Time to go and get some supplies.

i like tettnang! especially for aroma. my first AG pils, and still my best, was pretty similar to wha you're planning. it had all weyermann pils with 200g munich, + 200g acidulated for pH, with northern brewer for bittering, tettnang for aroma and mittelfrh FWH.
but you have to find what hops you like. muck around with combinations.

Andrew,

I notice with interest that you say that the addition of Cara Pils is a big no no in a Pilsner.

I always use 5% Weyermenn Cara Pils in all my Pilsners. This is a recommendation by Weyerman for 1. Foam Improvement, 2. Improved head retention and 3. Fuller body in Pilsners and Lagers.
Weyermann also state that you can use as much as up to 40% in a beer.
With their Cara Pils having an EBC of 3 - 5, I can't see a problem.

I reckon it's great stuff and I personally would NOT brew a Pilsner without it!

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/index.asp?sprache=2

Regards,
Lindsay.

CaraPils a no no in Pilsner?

5% in a German, Bohemian or CAP is what it's designed for.

I would also add a few % of Melanoidin for a hint of complexity and malt aroma but keep usage within the colour range of a typical Pils (I assume you use Promash etc.).

tdh
(commercial CAP brewer)

Hi Lindsay,
the reason I think (and it is only my opinion) that carapils is a big no no is this.
1 The same results body wise can be obtained by mashing at a slightly higher temp say 67c.
2 the higher temp will also improve foam and head retension
3 I can't imagine how thick and cloyingly sweet a beer would be with even 20% carapils let alone 40%.
4 According to the style guidelines "A pilsner should have a dry crisp finish, with a well attenuated maltiness", I just can't seem to get that crispness when using carapils.
But again, that is only my opinion. I used carapils for years to aid in head retension but stopped using it because I found my beers to have too much mouthfeel.
For anyone interested below is the BJCP style guide for Pilsner.

Cheers
Andrew

2A. German Pilsner (Pils)
Aroma: Typically features a light grainy malt character (sometimes Graham cracker-like) and distinctive flowery or spicy noble hops. Clean, no fruity esters, no diacetyl. May have an initial sulfury aroma (from water and/or yeast) and a low background note of DMS (from pils malt).
Appearance: Straw to light gold, brilliant to very clear, with a creamy, long-lasting white head.
Flavor: Crisp and bitter, with a dry to medium-dry finish. Moderate to moderately-low yet well attenuated maltiness, although some grainy flavors and slight malt sweetness are acceptable. Hop bitterness dominates taste and continues through the finish and lingers into the aftertaste. Hop flavor can range from low to high but should only be derived from German noble hops. Clean, no fruity esters, no diacetyl.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light body, medium to high carbonation.
Overall Impression: Crisp, clean, refreshing beer that prominently features noble German hop bitterness accentuated by sulfates in the water
Lindsay Dive said:
Andrew,

I notice with interest that you say that the addition of Cara Pils is a big no no in a Pilsner.

I always use 5% Weyermenn Cara Pils in all my Pilsners. This is a recommendation by Weyerman for 1. Foam Improvement, 2. Improved head retention and 3. Fuller body in Pilsners and Lagers.
Weyermann also state that you can use as much as up to 40% in a beer.
With their Cara Pils having an EBC of 3 - 5, I can't see a problem.

I reckon it's great stuff and I personally would NOT brew a Pilsner without it!

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/index.asp?sprache=2

Regards,
Lindsay.
[post="75192"][/post]​

Hi Andrew,

I must ask the question....Have you used Weyermann Cara Pils?

Regards,
Lindsay.

Back