Grain Bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
Do you guys use a grain bag to steep you grain or strain it when finished. Can you make a bag out of something or do you have to buy one.

Big Fella!
I read somewhere that you could use a pair of panty hose.
Of course sanitize it first! Only my thought and observation,
Cheers

I was wonderin if they had nylon in them and may melt.

I use muslin(very fine cheese cloth) from "Spotlight". It's like $1.50 a metre(square metre actually). Rinses well and if it dont chuck it and get more...ever had an arguement from the missus for going to the fabric/craft store?????.

when I did use it I just spun it SLOW so that the twist on the top would sqeeze out the liquid a little.

Big Beer Belly said:
I read somewhere that you could use a pair of panty hose.
Of course sanitize it first!
Not only that you have to take them off first :huh: damn that water is hot.

I bought a couple of muslin bags from hbs for a $ and they work really well. Easily hold a kg of grain which is the most specialty grains I ever put in a brew.

muslin bags the way to go.tried the old panty hose trick but takes like forever to get any dye out of it.works though but the muslin is the go.
just remember to stir regularly when on the boil as my last effort resulted in a burn on the bag which ended up spewing grain outa the hole i made.not very nice at all. :(

cheers
big d

Back