Grain And Grape Immersion Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can offer an opinion on the grain and grape immersion elements. They look like on the website that the element is black, whereas others I've used have always been shiny. Is that a problem? Are they a good element?
Actually I notice the Beerbelly ones seem to have the same finish...

EDIT:
I need to replace mine as I tried to bend it to put the handle on more of an angle to get it out of the steam path and now there are small cracks in the exterior sheath of the element. Not game to use it anymore..

I have used one of the 'shiny' ones for around 3 years so no dramas there. The coating wears off over time as with most things.

thanks mate, but the issue i'm wondering about is that the elements on g&g and beerbelly look like they are already black.

I have an immersion element (birko) at the moment which is great. Was shiny, has now started wearing off a little but it's no big deal. Works a treat.

the other element (that i now need to replace) is also a shiny one. I need to get it pretty quickly and was just wondering why the new ones look like they are black already.

Yeah the black is alloy800 which is coated for better resistance to corrosion. At the time they only had the shiny one so I went with that. Both will do the job.

Ahh, i see what you're getting at.

Wicked, thanks mate!

As i didn't know about the black coating, when i saw it it reminded me of a burnt out element and just looked a bit dodgy.

thanks for the clarification.

EDIT:
One other question, it looks like the grain and grape one has a bent handle which is what i'm after, so that the handle assembly is kept as far away as possible from the steam in the kettle.
Is that correct?

Do you mean the grimwood hand held immersion elements?

If you look after them, they are great. One piece of equipment I would not be without. I've fucked up two through my own rough handling but the one I got yesterday will be treated like a queen. Don't allow it to be on when not immersed, don't bang hard on concrete to remove bits of grain, don't immerse while your burner is on full to try and get the kettle boiling quicker (everything that led to the demise of mine) and you'll save yourself some headaches and cash.

Top bit of gear.

I can vouch for the G & G model. It cops moderate abuse from me. ie stirring the mash, tapping the side of mash tun etc. 3 years old.

I do recall Ross mentioning in another thread that the black type is preferred over the silver coated for boiling wort. not sure why.

Over time I have a buildup of crud on the element which came off easy enough with PBW.

Back