Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
You coming Linc
Trying to. Scott & I need to organise brownie points with the wives and sort out time-off and logistics etc. I've got a mead and a milk stout I'm considering entering. I'll see how the stout develops over the next week or so.

Is it necessary to give a BJCP name to an entry or can you be a bit more flexible?
For example a light bodied hoppy golden ale that doesn't quite fit in as either a blonde ale or an APA, is it acceptable to describe it just as "golden ale"?

Biribe

This is the local Agricultural Show

There are 3 basic styles

Pale Ale/Lager

Dark Ale/Lager

Stout

Bribie G said:
Is it necessary to give a BJCP name to an entry or can you be a bit more flexible?
For example a light bodied hoppy golden ale that doesn't quite fit in as either a blonde ale or an APA, is it acceptable to describe it just as "golden ale"?
Hi Bribie,

It can be more flexible for this years comp (it is not even compulsary to name the style). You just have to select a class. Entrants are being encouraged to nominate the style of the beer(s) they enter to get them used to the concept.

Being a long term all grain brewer yourself, you are already used to this, but there are some brewers that are not experienced with styles or BJCP style guidelines (even some that are not on AHB!).

It is true that this comp is tied in with the local agricultural show, and has been running for a very long time with just general categories. Rather than 'flicking the switch' and making it a BJCP event overnight, it is hoped that the current transition will encourage those that are not experienced to consider developing their existing brewing skills, rather than dropping out altogether because things change too fast and appear too complicated.

Last years comp has already got the ball rolling, with a number of brewers putting a lot more thought and planning into their beers.

(There will be a least 3 professional brewers judging the beers this year).

Matt

Point taken about nominating beers in line with the three broad styles. I've got a couple of saisons I was going to enter and, obviously these would be entered as 'pale ales', but just hoping there'll be enough beers in different sub-styles (APA, AIPA, Kolsch, etc.) to enable meaningful comparison. Looking forward to it anyway.

There are no real sub-styles. The only sub catagories are Made from a kit, Modified kit & Own recipe

Your beer is either Pale, Dark or Stout.

But as Matt eluded, things may change.

No worries - thanks for that. Sounds like a headache for the judges but that's their potential dilemma I guess.

Not really. just means each beer gets judged on its merits, not style

TunofGrunt said:
Is this the same set-up as last year?
Planning to have the judging more streamlined so it does not run as long as last year.

So I guess that means we'll finish a littler earlier, then back to Roches to drink them dry?

sp0rk said:
So I guess that means we'll finish a littler earlier, then back to Roches to drink them dry?
Thats the plan.

Starting a lot earlier.

sp0rk said:
Will have to see if Stu can organise some special beers on tap for the visiting brewing contigent from the 24th April.

Some Vintage would do the trick, or even that 1664 which tastes surprisingly good on tap.

They'd better still have the Reschs Original Draught.

Brew Matt said:
Will have to see if Stu can organise some special beers on tap for the visiting brewing contigent from the 24th April.

Some Vintage would do the trick, or even that 1664 which tastes surprisingly good on tap.
I will see. The Coopers rep is very hard to catch. There is a Cider on the Tap ATM. Maybe some Celebration or Artisan

Tap List is

Pale Ale
Mild Ale
Coopers Light
Carlsberg
XXXX
New
Resch's Draught
Dark Ale
Old
Guiness
Thatchers Cider

Plenty left. I will book you one if you need

Tidal & rdeVjun have their rooms booked.

Place is a rabbit warren with dozens of rooms, as used to be the case when bullockys and swagmen descended in swarms for their nights rest and rum .. it's great to see the place back to its former glory when there's a mob staying there.
**** Best Western, this is the real deal.

Back