Grafton Brewing Competition 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a highly commended?

sponge said:
Didn't place, but deserves honourable mention, and will receive a card for you to put on display in your brewery/bar.

Assumed as much, but just wasn't sure when only a highly commended was shown rather than placings in a category.

sponge said:
Further: when there is a highly commended and no 1st place what conclusion am I to draw from this? If there is only 2nd place listed and no 1st what is the deal?

stomachshoulders said:
Further: when there is a highly commended and no 1st place what conclusion am I to draw from this? If there is only 2nd place listed and no 1st what is the deal?
Presumably no beer in that category scored enough points to do better than highly commended or silver and/or it was the only beer in the category and didn't score enough points.....?

Yob said:
People's choice went to?
There was no 'Peoples Choice' vote this year. The 'people' tried some of the beers after the judges were finished with them, but there was no written voting done... though there were a few favourites out on the table.

stomachshoulders said:
The reason why you may see a second place without a first, is that classes were grouped. For example, classes 3.1 Classic American Pilsner + 3.2 German Pilsner + 3.3 Bohemian Pilsner were part of the Pilsner class group. Therefore there could have been a second place in 3.1, and a first place in 3.2.

If you find that there are 2 first places in a class group, then it means there was a tie for first.

Thanks for the clarification Matt.

Any chance we'll be receiving the scoresheets/judges comments or scores for all entries?

Brew Matt said:
There was no 'Peoples Choice' vote this year. The 'people' tried some of the beers after the judges were finished with them, but there was no written voting done... though there were a few favourites out on the table.
The people consisted of MikeHell and myself :unsure:.... Bribie & Ralph ended up being judges

And the one we liked was the AG Stout, the Pale Modified Kit No4, the Bock, the RIS, he Pale Ale AG, .....it was hard to do, trust me, but at least we had a go

There where some genuinely nice beers there ranging from Kits to RIS...I only tasted one bad beer out of about 30

Ducatiboy stu said:
The people consisted of MikeHell and myself :unsure:.... Bribie & Ralph ended up being judges

And the one we liked was the AG Stout, the Pale Modified Kit No4, the Bock, the RIS, he Pale Ale AG, .....it was hard to do, trust me, but at least we had a go

There where some genuinely nice beers there ranging from Kits to RIS...I only tasted one bad beer out of about 30
Just half wondering if I made a mistake sending a BIPA down seeing as there was no specific category for that, or maybe it just wasn't that good a beer after all...

Brew Matt said:
The reason why you may see a second place without a first, is that classes were grouped. For example, classes 3.1 Classic American Pilsner + 3.2 German Pilsner + 3.3 Bohemian Pilsner were part of the Pilsner class group. Therefore there could have been a second place in 3.1, and a first place in 3.2.

If you find that there are 2 first places in a class group, then it means there was a tie for first.
Thanks for that. Makes a bit more sense now

Thanks to the organisers and henchmen that helped put this comp together again this year! Hopefully I will make it up next time.

sponge said:
Do I receive the wooden spoon in the mail?
A large (slotted) wooden spoon would make a good prize, and could serve as a decent mash paddle.......

TunofGrunt said:
Just half wondering if I made a mistake sending a BIPA down seeing as there was no specific category for that, or maybe it just wasn't that good a beer after all...
You can never be wrong for making or sending a BIPA!

sponge said:
Thanks for the clarification Matt.

Any chance we'll be receiving the scoresheets/judges comments or scores for all entries?
Yes, every entrant will receive their score sheet(s). This will be done primarily by email. Plan to have this completed within the month (or so).

Congratulations to winners in all categories
good to see plenty of entries in bjcp classes
looking forward to reading the score sheets
cheers
ken

Considering it was the first year of BJCP I think it went well with the number of entries.

Hopefully next year the numbers will be bigger again.......and the number of entries as well :)

Back