Gough's New Brewstand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Reaction score
Here's a few pics of my new brewstand. It has been months in the planning, and being a 'tool challenged' brewer, I wouldn't have it without the help of Mark from Mark's Homebrewing, my HBS here in Newcastle. Thanks heaps Mark :beerbang:

It is all gal, and obviously uses gravity rather than pumps. Yes I know that means I'm not a 'real' brewer, but such is life :rolleyes: I used it for the first time on Monday and compared to my previous 'picnic table and bricks' setup, it was chalk and cheese.

It was inspired by the brewtree systems, but Mark's design is different in significant areas and works very well for me. I live in an inner city suburb and have a very small backyard so space was a preminum. As the pics show it fits in a very small space and sits close to water and power which is great. I have an electric HLT and use gas for the boil. It is VERY adjustable, both in terms of height, and angle. The platforms also pivot to suit while on the arms.

Anyway, I'm really happy with it and thought you guys might be interested to take a look. Hope I can get the pics to load...

KIF_0300.JPG
KIF_0286.JPG
KIF_0284.JPG
KIF_0296.JPG

Shawn.

top stuff shawn.looks like many great brewdays ahead.

cheers
big d

Sweet, that looks really compact, nice job. It makes a huge difference to your brew day when you have everything setup the way you want it. I bet you cut a bit of time off the day too.

Cheers
Andrew

Very nice :beerbang:

Whats the overall height?

Nice. :super:

You're not a real brewer until you challenge gravity. :beerbang: :lol:

Warren -

Thanks fellas. The overall height of the stand itself is just on 6ft (180cm). I will actually be lowering the HLT about 100mm for the next brewday - was just in a rush to get started. After 18 months or thereabouts AG brewing without the stand it really was amazing just how much smoother and easier everything was with it. :) Can't wait for its next outing...

Shawn.

Shawn.

I reckon you could go even lower. :beerbang: The big plus in favour of rectangular coolers is their compact height. Wish I could say the same for round coolers. <_<

Warren -

Yep, you're probably right Warren, but I quite like the thermostat and thermometer/tap being reasonably high and at easy eyeline for me. The sight glass reads well enough as well. I'll give it a go 100mm lower next brew I think and think about lowering it further after that.

All this newfound flexibility :rolleyes: It'll probably go to my head :lol:

Shawn.

Mate,
that's a nice piece of kit. :beerbang: You've gotta love it when a plan comes together. Backyard brewing at it's finest.
Nice work and worth the wait by all accounts ;)

Looking forward to seeing it in action in the near future and sampling it's produce of course :party: .

The Peoples Micro is looking prettier by the day.

Cheers

Borret

hey shawn

nice piece of kit mate

I was in at Marks Home Brew a couple of weeks ago and he was telling me about the stand he was building but i didnt know it was for you :D

going to build my stand soon but it will be a one level job with pumps :)

Mate that design looks great, nice and compact

cheers

Tony said:
hey shawn

nice piece of kit mate

I was in at Marks Home Brew a couple of weeks ago and he was telling me about the stand he was building but i didnt know it was for you

going to build my stand soon but it will be a one level job with pumps :)

Mate that design looks great, nice and compact

cheers
[post="78451"][/post]​

Thanks again fellas.

Tony, I didn't know you were down recently? You should have given me a yell, we could've had a few brews :) Mark told me you'd ( or someone I guessed might have been you ;) ) been in touch with him a month or so ago. He did a great job with the stand, especially dealing with my 'suggestions' early on :lol:

Shawn

Good stuff Shawn
Must be like driving a new car.
I like the single pole/tripod feet idea.
I've been thinking along similar lines for my potential set-up but I'm not sure how I'll mount the CFWC yet. Aiming for it to be a Xmas project (if my old man can spare his welder for a week or 2) so plenty of time to think about it.
:chug:

shmick said:
Good stuff Shawn
Must be like driving a new car.
I like the single pole/tripod feet idea.
I've been thinking along similar lines for my potential set-up but I'm not sure how I'll mount the CFWC yet. Aiming for it to be a Xmas project (if my old man can spare his welder for a week or 2) so plenty of time to think about it.
:chug:
[post="78472"][/post]​

I like the new car analogy ;) It is about right. I don't know myself...

It is a great skill to have being able to weld. I'll have to learn one day, but knowing me I'd probably only blow myself up :lol: THe way I have it setup in the photos, the kettle is high enough to drain into my fermenter, but you could easily raise it a touch and factor the CFWC in before it. I use an immersion chiller so I just set it to fermenter height.

Shawn.

Great stuff Gough I know what you mean about brew days running a bit smoother when you finally sort out a stand.

Does your HWS connect in to it! Its bloody close by, that would be a bit of a time saver :)

I've recently put a tap directly from the hot water outlet. Nice 'n clean 'cause there's no storage tank to get mouldy being an instant hot water service. You can see the tap pointing toward the stand in the photos. It is also really handy for cleaning up :) I may also get a filter soon, but our water isn't too 'chloriney' or smelly...

Shawn.

Very nice Gough. Very Brewtree.
Mark was showing it to me the other week when I was up. Great to see it finished and ready for action. Top job Mark,
From someone that has also moved away from bricks, tables and bbq`s you will find brewday much more pleasant, especially getting ready for and cleanup.

Beers,
Doc

Gough said:
I may also get a filter soon, but our water isn't too 'chloriney' or smelly...

Shawn.
[post="78485"][/post]​

Shawn.

Get the filter. You won't regret it. :beerbang: Even if it doesn't change your water quality (worked wonders for mine) it looks cool. :lol: :party:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Even if it doesn't change your water quality (worked wonders for mine) it looks cool. :lol: :party:

Warren -

Unlike gate valves.... :p

Back