Gose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Over the last year I've seen and read a number of articles relating to Gose Beer.

From here

"Die Gose" takes its name from the town that originated it, Goslar. It became very popular in the nearby town of Leipzig but almost vanished in the early-to-mid twentieth century. Thankfully, due to the determination of a few brewers, the Gose style has not been lost forever and is undergoing something of a revival, being produced by three breweries after an absence of over 30 years.

Gose is a top-fermented wheat beer, sometimes including oats, with added coriander and salt. The inclusion of coriander and salt is contrary to the excessively strict beer purity law ("Reinheitsgebot") but as the law was a Bavarian one and Gose originated outside Bavaria, this wasn't a problem until the unification of Germany and the wider application of the Reinheitsgebot. Gose was traditionally spontaneously fermented, like Belgian lambic ales or Berliner Weisse, with fermentation being initiated by natural wild yeasts carried in the air, instead of the addition of particular strains of yeast but today's brewers use their own yeasts.

I'm thinking of experimenting with one, so am wondering if anyone here brewed a Gose Beer ?
Good or bad experiences ?
Recipes tips ?

Doc

Haven't brewed one, but tasted two now.

Definately very unique beers. Suprisingly salty in flavour! Quite refreshing really.

Doc,
Here's a few references to it in Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing"

salt in small quantities (one eigth to on half teaspoon per 5 gallons) will boost mouthfeel, a trick used by brewers of gose beer, a light brew from eastern Germany

Plus a recipe (might want to check his website as a lot of the recipes have corrections)

"Hose your nose Gose"

23% Pilsener Malt
15% Sour Malt
54% Wheat Malt
8% unmalted oats (oatmeal)
Rice Hulls

28g Spalt (4%aa) added to mash
14g Spalt (4%aa) 45 Mins

Step mash with rests at 45deg, and 67deg. Dilution of 2 quarts per pound. Note that the first batch of hops goes into the mash rather than the boil. Mash out at 76.5. Boil for 45 mins only.

At end of boil, add 0.25 teaspoon of salt plus 28g coriander

Ferment with a German weisseer yeast, a little on the cool side at 16.5 - 19.5 degrees.

og 1036
colour pale straw
10ibu
maturation 3-4 weeks

----

HTH

Cheers

TDH brought one to a flocculator get together once, don't remember it all that well but i do remember it was a quite salty wheat beer of sorts. The salt did stand out quite a lot. Anyway, good luck on brewing it doc.
Maybe the grumpy bugger might see this thread and post something for ya!

go the gose, reminds me of the aviator when he's building the spruce goose...show me the blue prints, show me the blue prints,show me the blue prints,show me the blue prints,show me the blue prints,show me the blue prints,....

Tangerine
Jayse

it's the way of the future, it's the way of the future, it's the WAY of the future, it's the way of the FUTURE.

Damb it Jayse, now Ill be repeating that instead of counting sheep for the next 3 hrs

:wacko:

I can remember reading somewhere that the long neck in the bottle is a deliberate thing. The yeasty head travelled up it to form a natural bung. :blink:

Says Warren repeatedly washing his hands.... Way of the future... Way of the future... Way of the future... :lol:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Way of the future... Way of the future... Way of the future... :lol:

[post="84036"][/post]​

Cut to the future and another country, i don't think you'll pick up any nice yeast out of the air, the best you could hope for is proberly a suburban chick in track suit pants and a guns and roses tshirt to walk by. :eek: because that yeast might at least tame whatever is in the air. ;)
Iam sure by the time doc logs on in the morning he'll have a yeast in mind and it won't be one plucked from the air in suburban australia :beerbang:

over the hills and far away
Jayse

EDIT: Way of the future... Way of the future... Way of the future..........

jayse said:
a suburban chick in track suit pants and a guns and roses tshirt to walk by. :eek: because that yeast might at least tame whatever is in the air. ;)
[post="84044"][/post]​

:lol: :lol: Bloody Sth Australians.

It's the way of the past.... .It's the way of the past.... .It's the way of the past.... .

Warren -

Would you use unmalted wheat in this style of beer? In one article by Michael Jackson he lists malted wheat and no unmalted wheat for one brewery and in the other article of Michael's linked in the orginal article posted by Doc, Jackson refers to Gose as being made with air dried wheat as per the Belgium Wit/Blanc beers. This to me reads torrified wheat, would this be correct?. So a Belgium Wit/Blanc grist with a German wheat yeast and salt/corriander to spice?

Nonicman.

I'd say malted wheat, pils malt and a small amount of munich. Managed to find this FWIW. The style becomes more interesting by the minute. Would you use a Weizen or regular ale strain? :unsure:

Appearance: Very bright gold, fairly clear, spritzy

Aroma: A hint of apple-skin, champagne-like with leafy undertones

Flavor: Quite complex with notes of plums, herbs, lemon, orange, and coriander on the palate and a subtly refreshing sharpness provided by the addition of salt.

Finish: Dry with the lactic acid bacteria providing refreshing undertones. Earthly, dry, malt and a hint of fruitcake are apparent.

Malt: Pilsner & Munich, wheat malt {60%}

Alc./Vol.: 4.5% IBU: 13 EBC: 10.5 OG: 1046

Warren -

Another interesting experiment may be Sahti?!.....

Boots said:
Doc,
Here's a few references to it in Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing"

salt in small quantities (one eigth to on half teaspoon per 5 gallons) will boost mouthfeel, a trick used by brewers of gose beer, a light brew from eastern Germany

Plus a recipe (might want to check his website as a lot of the recipes have corrections)

"Hose your nose Gose"

23% Pilsener Malt
15% Sour Malt
54% Wheat Malt
8% unmalted oats (oatmeal)
Rice Hulls

28g Spalt (4%aa) added to mash
14g Spalt (4%aa) 45 Mins

Step mash with rests at 45deg, and 67deg. Dilution of 2 quarts per pound. Note that the first batch of hops goes into the mash rather than the boil. Mash out at 76.5. Boil for 45 mins only.

At end of boil, add 0.25 teaspoon of salt plus 28g coriander

Ferment with a German weisseer yeast, a little on the cool side at 16.5 - 19.5 degrees.

og 1036
colour pale straw
10ibu
maturation 3-4 weeks

----

HTH

Cheers
[post="84018"][/post]​

This weekends brew is going to either be another HefeRyeizen or the Gose. So looking back over my notes on Gose and your post Boots I see reference to Sour Malt.
What the hell is Sour Malt ? Anyone anyone, Bueller bueller ?

Doc

Doc said:
What the hell is Sour Malt ? Anyone anyone, Bueller bueller ?

Doc
[post="90234"][/post]​

not acidulated malt??????

also there is a reference to Gose in BYO

Leipziger Gose: Style Profile (Jan, 2005), this the same????

beerz

Linz

Just dug up that article Linz.
The BYO recipe calls for Acidulated Malt. Unfortuantely I don't quite have enough in stock, but it should be enough to give a subtle version of the desired effect.

Beers,
Doc

Doc's Salty Old Gose

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-A German Wheat and Rye Beer, Weizen/Weissbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 15
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 16 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 19.00 Wort Size (L): 19.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.08
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 12.02
Anticipated EBC: 9.6
Anticipated IBU: 23.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 10.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 22.35 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG 10.28 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
61.3 2.50 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
19.4 0.79 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
11.0 0.45 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 20
8.3 0.34 kg. Weyermann Acidulated Germany 1.000 5

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
42.00 g. Hersbrucker Plug 2.50 15.1 45 min.
42.00 g. Spalter Pellet 4.50 8.7 15 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 Oz Corriander Seed Spice 15 Min.(boil)
0.33 Cup(s) Sea Salt Spice 90 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 4.08
Water Qts: 11.64 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 11.02 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.70 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 72 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 80 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume L: 13.74 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Doc,

Shame that I didn't see this yesterday. Would have suggested a sour mash (really? - he he) of about 150g :lol: .

That's what I did with my latest Wit, although it fermented too warm and WLP401 (IIRC, Wit II) makes plenty of phenolics at this temp. May be OK when chilled right down, and served in a Hoegaarden glass, of course.

FWIW, I'll try and make the BYO recipe before the end of the year. Maybe it'll be sitting in an S/S conical on Boxing Day. :beer:

Best of luck, for sure.

Seth out

I'm going to go out on a limb and brew 40 litres of it.
I only have about half of the acidulated malt required, so it probably one turn out quite as close to the original style, but will be good to get an idea first time round.
Found a heap of Rock Sea Salt in the pantry so that will go in it.
Should be a nice refreshing Xmas Summer beer.

My grandmother died yesterday and she was a great old stick. So I think it will have to be called Salty Old Grandmother Gose :beerbang:

Beers,
Doc

Condolences to you and the family Doc with your Grandmother. Here's hoping that the Gose turns out extra good. :beer:

Got the Gose brewed yesterday.
Wasn't watching the end of the sparge and got a bit extra volume into the kettle.
Now this is one maxed out boiler.

GrandmotherGose_Full.jpg

And this is near the end of the boil.
7 plugs of Hersbrucker, 88 grams of pellet hops (Stryrian Goldings in place of Spalt because I miscalculated my inventory), the salt, the corriander. It smelt fantastic.

GrandmotherGose_End.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back