Good Time To Brew Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewills

Reaction score
hi all!

i am trying to put ont he mexican cerveza now with the #10 brew pack ( so that u can make something like the Corona) the temp here gets to around 3 or 4 nowadays.. i don't have a heating pad or anything like that to brew the kit.. so is it a good idea to do it now or shoudl i wait till the weather gets warmer?

and what temp is the beer good to brew at?

the brand of thebeer concentrate is Beer Makers..

thanks all!

What yeast are you using?
I would suspect that the kit yeast is not a true lager yeast. A true lager yeast will give you some action at those temps, but it would be slow, and thus somewhat prone to infection. An ale yeast will do nothing.
Once you can average about 8C or above, that is the right time for the lager yeast to do its thing.

dreamboat

3-4c

What he F&%K !!!

I know stewills ....still spins poor Batz out :ph34r:

The sand people do not function well in cold weather. Use the force, Luke.

How cold does it get in your house, stewills? We have some fairly cold nights here too but with my brew inside it rarely drops below 18C.

stewills
3-4C? Where the hell do you live? I thought Toowoomba was bad but at least it's warming up here now.
I have brewed ales in Toowoomba in the middle of winter so similar temps to you. I did this by putting the fermenter in an old busted fridge and then kept it warm by putting 2 x 1L containers of boiling water in twice a day, which kept it from the mid teens up to about 18C.

3-4 degrees at night? Heatwave!

Monday morning, was -3.5 deg C under the veranda at 6.30am when I took the dog for a walk. Wall to wall white frost, the ground was very slippery to walk on. Had sleet falling last night.

Check out the temperature range of different areas of your house, you want somewhere about 10-12 degrees to brew your beers with proper lager yeasts, two degrees either side, they will still work ok, but 10-12 is ideal.

As far as I know, the only kit that has a proper lager yeast under the lid is the coopers heritage lager tin. Some of the ESB 3kg tins, which are a great range of kits, also have lager yeast, if they are available in your area. So, you might like to buy some of the excellent saflager yeast, 11gm of dried yeast.

Go shop at a good homebrew shop, or mail order from one of the very good suppliers mentioned here regularly.

Beermakers use an ale yeast, ferment at 20 -22 degrees.

Some of the Coopers kits have a blend of ale and lager yeast, but I'm sure the Bavarian Lager has a lager yeast and going from smell memory the Coopers Pilsner does too.

A few of the Cascade kits have lager yeast too. I have the "Spicy Ghost" draught ticking away merrily outside at 14C at the moment.

Back