Good Pubs In Parramatta & Newcastle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
Next week I will be in NSW, specifically Parramatta / Rosehill and Newcastle.

Can anyone give a Melbourne lad a heads up on some nearby Brewpubs or pubs with good tap beer.

Thanks

Fish

Sure Fish,
I live in Newcastle and we have some top pubs, maybe Shawn can add a few more but The Brewery at Queens Warf is the place to start for a top Ginger Beer. Then head over the train lines to Finigans (irish pub) or up on Hunter st try the Great Northern. You can't go wrong anywhere in town.
Head down Darby st to the Delany and keep going down to the Price Of Wales or give me call and taste some of my creations? I am out at Edgeworth/Cameron Park
GOOD LUCK

As for Parramatta the range is a little limited.
Obviously the best bets are to go to places that do good food and have a decent beer selection. This leaves:

Albion Hotel 135 George St PARRAMATTA (02) 9891 3288
PJ Gallaghers cnr Church and Park Street

Beers,
Doc

It's not far to Paddy's from Parra. Many a great beer to be consumed in that place. I think it's in Flemington.

A bunch of blokes from this forum where there a few weeks back. I'm sure they can give you good directions.

or go into the city (its not far from parra) and go to the Lord Nelson or to The Australian Hotel.
There isnt much in parra.

thanks guys,

I'll jot these down and see how many I can get to.

Fish

Fish,

SJ has covered a few of the better pubs in the city in Newcastle. 'The Brewery' in particular is worth a look in terms of interesting beer. Other than there though there aren't really any 'brewpubs' in Newcastle as such. The Exchange Hotel in Hamilton has JS Pilsner on tap (or did not so long ago) and quite a few around the place have the new local Bluetongue beers (a Lager and a Ginger Beer) as well as JS Amber Ale and Pilsner and Coopers beers but the only other place with really good microbrewed beer on tap around here is the old Potters Tavern near Cessnock which has the St Arnou beers which are excellent. Worth a drive up there for the beers and to drop in on the Hunter Valley wineries while you're there. Newcastle hasn't really developed a strong microbrewery culture as such yet I'm afraid... but it does have some great pubs/nightlife!

Something else you might be interested in is the Bluetongue brewery tours - they have a brand new 'middle-sized' brewery on the outskirts of town that is brewing their own beers plus a lot of contract beer for other micros/small breweries. I'm planning on a tour next Tuesday night or the one after and have been told it is really worth a look. Personally I'm not really blown away by their Lager - not a bad beer, just pretty 'safe' and dull if you know what I mean - but the brewery has Tyrells wine money behind it and is supposed to be really top notch. You need to ring first but they are happy to show you around.

If you'd like we could meet up for a beer when you're up here it is up to you. Maybe SJ would be keen as well and we could have a mini AHB gathering at the Brewery on the wharf in town? Let me know if you are keen.

Shawn.

Count me in!!!

Shawn & SJW,

Lads - thanks for the very generous offers. Unfortunately I will be tied up with clients most of the time however I am hoping to steer them toward some of the pubs you have suggested.

On my next trip I will organise myself better and maybe we can catch up.

Enjoy the brewery tour. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Fish

Hey Fish,

Whereabouts in Parramatta will you be ????? I'm in Cowper St during the day... The Albion has closed down.... The rest of the pubs are pretty much shite.....

Back