Good Ole S-189

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverfj1200

Reaction score
Done a search and read all that..

Any thing new before I brew with this yeast tomorrow.

Cheers.

Hi roverfj1200,

I have been using this yeast for the last 3 months with a number of brews and very happy with it. Not sure what you have read, but this is what I have been doing.
Get a large pitch. I am using slurry from previous fermentations rather than a starter - just easier for me.
Pitch into cold wort at 6 to 9 Deg.C. Not higher.
Ferment out in primary at 9 Deg.C. Seems to take a couple of weeks for me at least, then lager etc.

Good brewing.

Fear.

Thanks but was looking to see if anyone had a new flavour profile to share. Google fermentis s 189 and you get the data sheet with pitching rates and so on. I think I will go with 16 deg and pitch dry at around 20 deg. With a nice hoppy profile beer. Been cool here and my coopers starter has been slow to grow.. So lagers....

Cheers.

I find it's pretty much as fast at 12C as it is any higher.

I agree with Nick. I always pitch and ferment it at 12c and it's usually done before the weeks out. I use both packs. The only advantage to pitching at 20c is that you could get away with using one pack, but I'd still drop it back down closer to lager ferm temps. That being said, many people report few or no ill effects when fermenting warmer.

I agree with Nick. I always pitch and ferment it at 12c and it's usually done before the weeks out. I use both packs. The only advantage to pitching at 20c is that you could get away with using one pack, but I'd still drop it back down closer to lager ferm temps. That being said, many people report few or no ill effects when fermenting warmer.

Have read thread about 189 at 19deg. Have found s-23 very clean at higher temps. And yes pitching at 20 deg for a one dose pitch.

Thanks

Cheers

Sounds like you just need to do it. Some brewers have reported good lager type flavour profiles with this yeast at higher temps with lower pitch rates, I have not tried it that way myself, although I have with other lager yeasts.

Report back how it goes, hope it goes well.

Fear.

Sounds like you just need to do it. Some brewers have reported good lager type flavour profiles with this yeast at higher temps with lower pitch rates, I have not tried it that way myself, although I have with other lager yeasts.

Report back how it goes, hope it goes well.

Fear.

Cheers

Looks like a Blue tongue clone

And a cluster clanger then.

Will get some wheat in there somewhere..

Got me interested, what is your recipe?
Fear

Blue tongue.

3kg pale LME
50g each pale and 60 crystal steeped.
POR to 28IBU 45 min
25g Hersbrucker at say 5min.
S-189

Cluster Clanger
3kg pale LME some wheat to hey.
100g pale crystal steeped.
25g cluster 60
12g cluster 15
12g cluster 5
S-189

Could dry 10g POR for that in ya face earthy aroma?????

Hozat!!!!!

Get some sugar in there!

Blue tongue.

3kg pale LME
50g each pale and 60 crystal steeped.
POR to 28IBU 45 min
25g Hersbrucker at say 5min.
S-189

Cluster Clanger
3kg pale LME some wheat to hey.
100g pale crystal steeped.
25g cluster 60
12g cluster 15
12g cluster 5
S-189

Could dry 10g POR for that in ya face earthy aroma?????

Hozat!!!!!

Thanks but was looking to see if anyone had a new flavour profile to share.
To my palate, s-189 emphasises malty flavours really well. I even use it in styles such as amber ales so it can really bring forward the specialty malts while the hops will look after themselves with a healthy late addition.

It's becoming my go-to yeast and I even brew ales with it at 12 degrees.............which kind of makes them lagers.......

To my palate, s-189 emphasises malty flavours really well. I even use it in styles such as amber ales so it can really bring forward the specialty malts while the hops will look after themselves with a healthy late addition.

It's becoming my go-to yeast and I even brew ales with it at 12 degrees.............which kind of makes them lagers.......

I did a 15 minute Amarillo (~25ibu) with Boh Pils grain and S189 once. It was wacky - once I got used to it it was fantastic.

Back