Good Keg Fridge Size?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Hi all,
I know this has probably been done to death but I can purchase a 340 liter fridge for a good price at the moment.
To all the keggers out there. Is this a decent size for a keg fridge?
What would you recomend as a minimum size?
Obviously bigger is better but how many kegs will this fridge fit? Talkin the 18 liter ones here i beleive.
At that price I would just purchase it and use it later on.
Hey I'm always after a good bargain. :)

cheers

That depends Johnno , most fridges have a hump at the back where the compresser is , I build a shelf there , and if you remove the door skin with all the shelves and replace it with something flat , you maybe able to fit 4 kegs in it

Mine is 351 litres and fits 3 x 18 litre kegs.

The layout of the fridge (eg the step for the motor as Batz mentioned) will determine how many kegs etc will fit.

IMO get a fridge only if you can like the Westinghouse Freezmate 351 (which I have), unless you need the freezer compartment to store hops, glasses etc.

I've also seen people remove the door lining and replace with a metal sheet (actually I think someone here did it with wood), in order to get more internal space.

Anyway grab it and use it as a cc fridge as the worst case :D
Fridges never go un-used.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,
are you talkin about a fridge with just one door and no freezer compartment?
I can see how the freezer bit would probably go to watse.

cheers

Yep, exactly that Johnno.

See attached image of the model I have.

Beers,
Doc

KegFridge_001.jpg

Johnno, I have a 360L (I think) one which does have a freezer at the top. The freezer is a bit of a waste but I reckon I will get 4 kegs in this sucker (haven't tried yet) or 2 kegs + CC jerry. I will have to build a better shelf where the compressor thing is and it is tight for space at the top but for $150 I thought it was not bad.

Can post some pics later if you like.

Ok,
I missed out on the last one but am now on to another one.
This one is all fridge a Westinghouse 381 L.
Problem is I havent looked at it yet and the people selling it cannot confirm the size.
Is this a 380 litre fridge? How old is this model?
Any fridgeys on this site that can comment?
Thanks in advance
cheers

Hey Johnno,

I use a Fisher & Paykel fridge, with no freezer compartment.
It is a 367Litre, and i usually store 2 kegs inside due to the "hump" compressor, although i have built a little shelf for it, so i can fit 4 kegs easy!
This fridge will freeze my beer if set on the coldest setting, so i normally leave it around middle on the thermostat.

Heres a pic...(got this one at a bargain price too)

P1040056.JPG

dont forget that though you might fit in heaps of kegs, you also need room for at least one, cube.

I think you need one keg for drinking, one for carbonaring in and a spot for a cube for cc'ing

Paid for this fridge tonite. picking it up tomorrow. Looks like its at least 350 litres.
They claimed it was only 2 yrs old. I dont know about that but it is in excellent condition.
For $75 I'm very happy about it.

cheers

if the other half is fairly tolerant wedge this is where you score another fridge for cold conditioning.this way you can keep on brewing until the cc fridge is full plus what amount of kegs you can fit in your keg fridge.
you certainly dont run out in a hurry.

cheers
big d

Picked this up yesterday. A Westinghouse 381 Freezamate Silhouette series. There is a sticker on the bottom that says its a 417 litre fridge. No freezer. It is a big one alright. Looks like i will be able to get kegs in the bottom and cubes up the top easy. Problem is its in such good condition I dont know if I want to modify it for a keg fridge. Maybe when i eventually get the kegging equipment I will change my mind.
Cant beleive they sold it so cheap.
Go the trading post.

cheers

Those fridges look fantastic with the taps on the door, are the actual kegs mounted somehow on the door leaving space behind or are they inside the fridge connected by hoses?

Does anyone know of a place in Melbourne that sells that sort of conversion equipment??????

Grain and Grape in Maidstone have a pretty good deal on the keg system $375 for a keg, gun, lines, disconnects AND "4.5kg gas bottle@$15 a year rental". That's a great deal on the gas. You can get the twist top taps to go through the fridge from most HBS (they are called TruFlo taps I think), or chase some Andale pulldowns off GSRman. Kegsystems on www.kegsystems.com.au can also help you out with stuff. Send them an email or better still ring Craig.

JD

My thanks now all I need to do is find a fridge to fit it into!

Choos ,
i found mine in the trading post. Lots of good things for sale in that.

cheers

[Grain and Grape in Maidstone have a pretty good deal on the keg system $375 for a keg, gun, lines, disconnects AND "4.5kg gas bottle@$15 a year rental". That's a great deal on the gas. You can get the twist top taps to go through the fridge from most HBS (they are called TruFlo taps I think), or chase some Andale pulldowns off GSRman. Kegsystems on www.kegsystems.com.au can also help you out with stuff. Send them an email or better still ring Craig.]

Hi there,

First post on forum. Looks great.

No offence intended, but who is the GSRman?

Cheers,
Jase.

Back