Good Book On Beer Styles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good book that goes into detail on all the major beer styles? Something glossy with pictures that I can drool over on the long winter evenings looking for my next brew.

Cheers

Zaniwoop

Brewing Classic styles is a good book to start with although it has no pics

Amazon has it for around $12us

BCS is a pretty good book. Not sure it needs pictures though. Oh. Look at that. More grain. Another yellow beer.

BCS is really accessable and has tonnes of recipes, many of them I'd heard of previously without knowing they were from the book.

Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels is another very good book. I like the recipe formulation theory the most. This has helped me design most of my beers since reading the book. It doesn't have all beer styles. But is a good starting point for recipe design.

Wasn't there a book by Michael Jackson? Iv'e heard it mentioned in a few books iv'e read.

Maybe this one but I thought there was another.

Beer companion

Last edited by a moderator:
I printed out the small booklet version of the BJCP guidelines, it's good for perusing when you want to figure out what to brew next. And it's free to boot!

You can even print a few out and keep one in the crapper. :D

Brewing Classic styles and Designing Great Beers are both excellent books. Both are worth having around.

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good book that goes into detail on all the major beer styles? Something glossy with pictures that I can drool over on the long winter evenings looking for my next brew.

Cheers

Zaniwoop

The book that you are looking for is....Great Beer Guide - by Michael Jackson
500 classic brews all illustrated in full colour showing the bottle, and the glass from which they ideally should
be drunk.
I got mine from the Book Depository, free post to Australia.

The book that you are looking for is....Great Beer Guide - by Michael Jackson
500 classic brews all illustrated in full colour showing the bottle, and the glass from which they ideally should
be drunk.
I got mine from the Book Depository, free post to Australia.

Sounds like a good book. Is it still in print? None of the usual sites have it in stock.

BJCP + google images ....

I reckon reading the BJCP style guide is a great way to become familiar with all the beers. It's a pity though that many of the "examples of the style" are difficult to get in Australia.

It'd be wonderful to get the style guide and an example of each style and a few other brewers to taste every architype of the styles in one sitting. A suggestion for brew clubs perhaps.

I reckon reading the BJCP style guide is a great way to become familiar with all the beers. It's a pity though that many of the "examples of the style" are difficult to get in Australia.

It'd be wonderful to get the style guide and an example of each style and a few other brewers to taste every architype of the styles in one sitting. A suggestion for brew clubs perhaps.

Or maybe every archetype of a style in a given category

This is what myself and a group of 14-20 people did each week for about 13 weeks as part of a BJCP study group. It is great comparing the various styles against each other (although very time consuming, especially when trying out some of the heavy hitters) and getting good, well looked after style examples is not always easy or possible but worthwhile nonetheless.

This is what myself and a group of 14-20 people did each week for about 13 weeks as part of a BJCP study group. It is great comparing the various styles against each other (although very time consuming, especially when trying out some of the heavy hitters) and getting good, well looked after style examples is not always easy or possible but worthwhile nonetheless.

Manticle, couldn't make it this year due to other commitments. Will you be running the course again in 2013?

Back