Goldings In Secondry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
just wondering ,i am planning on doing another pale ale tomorrow using 1.5 kg of liquid malt,40gr p.o.r in boil for 50 mins with 9 litres of water,then add another 1.5 liquid malt and top to 22 litres .last time i dry hopped with goldings with two handfulls in secondry but someone has suggested that dry hopping gives the beer a bit of harshness,any ideas on this and if i should boil the goldings seperate and add the juice to secondry,the last batch was very nice but maybe a bit too hoppy.
cheers
fergi

fergi said:
just wondering ,i am planning on doing another pale ale tomorrow using 1.5 kg of liquid malt,40gr p.o.r in boil for 50 mins with 9 litres of water,then add another 1.5 liquid malt and top to 22 litres .last time i dry hopped with goldings with two handfulls in secondry but someone has suggested that dry hopping gives the beer a bit of harshness,any ideas on this and if i should boil the goldings seperate and add the juice to secondry,the last batch was very nice but maybe a bit too hoppy.
cheers
fergi
[post="90026"][/post]​

Fergi,

Plugs or flowers, you'll be fine - Add 1g per litre if you haven't dry hopped before...
Dry hopped Goldings are great - no boiling (that's not dry hopping) - just throw loose in the secondary - They will sink to the bottom when you CC...

I Dry hopped with some pellets I place in a hop bag in a a Fullers ESB clone with Goldings , the beer has the best head i have ever seen , it is a bit of an aquired taste and if i drink it first every other beer seems a bit lacking so I drink it last .
I was a unsure about hoppy beer as I thought VB was bitter , but even with a high hoppping schedule my brews they never leave that burning sensation on my stomach which often had me reaching for the Rennieslike VB . God knows what they put in their beer to make it bitter, I cant believe its hops .

Pumpy

Pumpy said:
. God knows what they put in their beer to make it bitter, I cant believe its hops .

Pumpy
[post="90054"][/post]​

Its hop extract (isomerised) I'm told.

You can'tbeat real hop bite, its a all in the finish on the tounge :excl:
Real bitterness without the metallic twang.

ok thanks for replys guys,i guess one concern ross of weighing out my dry hops is that the scales i am using are not that accurate,they are mechanical small kitchen scales,i might go over to the local post office and see if they can weigh them for me
cheers
fergi

fergi
when i dry hop with plugs it usually works out at 3 plugs in the secondary .i get a nice aroma ,and it dose not over hop the brew and keeps it ballanced quite well .what do you think ross.

i always use 500 mls of boiling water to brack the hops up in the fermentor and slosh about abit takes about a minute but you will smell the transition from a grassy smell to an aromatic smell after a minute or two then i would add the primary to the secondary leave at primary temp for 5 days under airlock then refridgerate for a few weeks to clear.
thats what i was shown buy GMK and it works very well.

delboy

fergi said:
ok thanks for replys guys,i guess one concern ross of weighing out my dry hops is that the scales i am using are not that accurate,they are mechanical small kitchen scales,i might go over to the local post office and see if they can weigh them for me
cheers
fergi
[post="90131"][/post]​

fergi,

If plugs, approx 13 gms each just add 2 or 3.

delboy said:
fergi
when i dry hop with plugs it usually works out at 3 plugs in the secondary .i get a nice aroma ,and it dose not over hop the brew and keeps it ballanced quite well .what do you think ross.

i always use 500 mls of boiling water to brack the hops up in the fermentor and slosh about abit takes about a minute but you will smell the transition from a grassy smell to an aromatic smell after a minute or two then i would add the primary to the secondary leave at primary temp for 5 days under airlock then refridgerate for a few weeks to clear.
thats what i was shown buy GMK and it works very well.

delboy
[post="90134"][/post]​

True dry hopping, you should not be plunging in hot water first - just throw them whole into the secondary, they'll break up fine on there own - the more you handle them, the more chance of passing bacteria from your fingers...

so ross you dont use any hot water to break um up in first to release more of the oils ?
oh well i will try you way next to see what happens
del

delboy said:
so ross you dont use any hot water to break um up in first to release more of the oils ?
oh well i will try you way next to see what happens
del
[post="90165"][/post]​

If you are DRY HOPPING, absolutley not.... :)

I guess my method with the boiling water first for a couple of minutes must/should be called...

........."Wet & Dry Hopping" :rolleyes: :super:

GMK said:
I guess my method with the boiling water first for a couple of minutes must/should be called...

........."Wet & Dry Hopping" :rolleyes: :super:
[post="90174"][/post]​

Nothing wrong with adding steeped hops - just shouldn't be called dry hopping :)

Back