Golden Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat

NULL
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a big(ish) Old Ale on the weekend - something like an Old Peculier.

For this brew I was going to use 250g of Golden Syrup and about the same of dark brown sugar, but I can't find anywhere the potential extract from Golden Syrup. Does anyone have a number I can punch into Promash?

As far as I know, as it is invert sugar (and therefore highly fermentable) it should be greater than Molasses (which contains a lot of unfermentables) so was going to use 1.046 - which is the same as table sugar.

Goat said:
I'm planning on doing a big(ish) Old Ale on the weekend - something like an Old Peculier.

For this brew I was going to use 250g of Golden Syrup and about the same of dark brown sugar, but I can't find anywhere the potential extract from Golden Syrup. Does anyone have a number I can punch into Promash?

As far as I know, as it is invert sugar (and therefore highly fermentable) it should be greater than Molasses (which contains a lot of unfermentables) so was going to use 1.046 - which is the same as table sugar.
[post="66529"][/post]​
Unless you want the final beer to taste obviously of Golden Syrup, use Tate & Lyle NOT CRS.

I've used Tate & Lyle to good effect several times, and (even in a mild) the Golden Syrup is not directly detectable in the flavour.

I've used CRS once in a full flavoured winter warmer (because it was all the shop had) and the beer tastes blatently of Golden Syrup.

Doesn't directly answer your question though.

From Beersmith, the brewer's friend :p

Lyle's Golden Syrup: Yield 78.3%, potential 1.036, liquid invert sugar.

Hope this helps you Goat.

Alas I think I am doomed, I used the CSR in a wee heavy today :(

Back to the drawing board for the SA Xmas case???

thanks Wee Stu - that's great. I thought it might be a bit higher than that... oh well its good to know.

Out of interest - how much did you use ?

Just put down an IPA with Tate & Lyles, the Belgian that was popular at the last WCB meeting contained T & L golden syrup too.

where did you get it Vlad - my local Coles only has the nasty stuff?

Goat said:
thanks Wee Stu - that's great. I thought it might be a bit higher than that... oh well its good to know.

[post="66566"][/post]​
Thinking about it, it makes sense that it's less than sucrose because the water taken up during inverting will increase the mass without increasing the available sugar.

Goat said:

[post="66566"][/post]​

330g, in addition to just a little over 9kg of grain :blink:

If Sean is right, this is quite possibly the biggest beer I have stuffed up yet :huh:

Well, after all I am not what you would normally call a big beer brewer ;)

9 kilos !! That is a serious brew

(I assume in a 23 odd L volume)

Goat said:
9 kilos !! That is a serious brew

(I assume in a 23 odd L volume)
[post="66576"][/post]​

Was aiming for 25l, but somehow the pick up tube in the kettle ended up horizontal and not pointing down, so lost a couple of litres of usable wort to the trub. One compensation, the clearest wort I have collected for a few brews.

wee stu said:
Goat said:

[post="66566"][/post]​

330g, in addition to just a little over 9kg of grain :blink:

If Sean is right, this is quite possibly the biggest beer I have stuffed up yet :huh:

Well, after all I am not what you would normally call a big beer brewer ;)
[post="66575"][/post]​
If it makes you feel any better, that's less Golden Syrup in more grain than mine, and mine is still drinkable, it's just that it has a really obvious Golden Syrup flavour to it. Depending what other flavours you have there, you might be ok, and either way it should still be drinkable.

If it makes you feel any better, that's less Golden Syrup in more grain than mine, and mine is still drinkable, it's just that it has a really obvious Golden Syrup flavour to it. Depending what other flavours you have there, you might be ok, and either way it should still be drinkable.

I was thinking the same thing, Sean.
I used 500g of CSR Golden Syrup in an extract only brew of 3.2kg fermentables.
I agree that the Golden Syrup taste is definitely evident, but not overpowering.
330g in a 9kg grain bill shouldn't upset things too much, especially in that style.
If it's stuffed, wee stu, I'll PM you my address and you can bring it around.
:D

Sean said:
<chopped>
Unless you want the final beer to taste obviously of Golden Syrup, use Tate & Lyle NOT CRS.
</chopped>
[post="66535"][/post]​

CRS - Commonwealth Rehab Services?
CSR - Commonwealth Sugar Refineries

Will definitely leave a strong flavour in your beer. Thanks to recipes from the web, I have tasted it in a Europils and a strong ale. The flavour will be there forever. Be very careful with quantity.

Seth

Weizguy said:
Sean said:
<chopped>
</chopped>
[post="66535"][/post]​

CRS - Commonwealth Rehab Services?
CSR - Commonwealth Sugar Refineries

Will definitely leave a strong flavour in your beer. Thanks to recipes from the web, I have tasted it in a Europils and a strong ale. The flavour will be there forever. Be very careful with quantity.

Seth
[post="66682"][/post]​
Ok, so I was too lazy to walk to the pantry and check the initials.

I am curious about why T&L and CSR are so different.

How good are the guys on this forum !!

Just got a call from SWMBO to say that Vlad the Pale Aler had dropped off a fresh tin of the real MaCoy at my place - a great little surprise for Friday afternoon - thanks Vlad that's fantastic !!!

Ummm... Vlad? I'm a bit low on flaked maize at the moment, on the return trip how about sorting that out. Actually a couple of new kegs would be good as well.

Goat said:

Just got a call from SWMBO to say that Vlad the Pale Aler had dropped off a fresh tin of the real MaCoy at my place - a great little surprise for Friday afternoon - thanks Vlad that's fantastic !!!
[post="66686"][/post]​

Reckon if I PM Vlad my address he will do the same for me?
Or am I just a little too far out of way?

Is Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup the next Bulk Buy :D

wee stu said:
Goat said:

[post="66686"][/post]​

Reckon if I PM Vlad my address he will do the same for me?
Or am I just a little too far out of way?
[post="66688"][/post]​

You want some Lyle and Tate, stu? I can get my hands on some for you if you like.

Back