Golden Cluster Hop Finish Flavour..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverfj1200

Reaction score
I know I maybe knocked for this but, I have been trying to get a similar flavour in my extract brews as XXXX bitter or gold.

Its the finishing flavour I think I am after.. I have been using brewcraft hops and doing a 45min boil of 1 kg DLME in 10litres with 25g at 45 and 10g at 10min. This makes a easy drinking beer but with out the XXXX finish. Any suggestions on how to get what I seek..

Cheers crew

P.S. brew has 2kg DLME made up to 23litres 100g crystal s-23 at 12deg...

I won't knock you, other than perhaps for using brewcraft hops. Buy fresher clusters, try one of the supporters advertised on the top of the page.

xxxx_new_label.JPG

For an Aussie mega brew XXXX heavy has quite a subtle hop presence. I don't think it's available South of the Border where XXXX Gold rules. I took a tallie of XXXX heavy to the last QLD case swap and a few inter-staters had a sip and didn't mind it too much. Their use of whole Golden Cluster flowers in the boil as opposed to Fosters Group who just squirt some extract into the beer on the way to the packing line, certainly shows through. And served unpasteurised off the wood at the Breakfast Creek Hotel, it's an eye opener.

Personally I'd use the lightest malt extract you can find, about 20% dry weight equivalent of sugar and for a 23L brew use 35g Golden Cluster 60 minutes and plus 10g for 10 minutes for a bit of aroma as well. Not taking sides with the suppliers and no affiliation at all but I see that CraftBrewer have AUS Cluster brand new season pellets at the moment, and I'd certainly try them for freshness. Might be the key. Remember it's only about a 20 IBU brew so even those quantities are probably going to be on the high side.
:icon_cheers:

I recently made a beer that I hopped to the hilt with Aussie Cluster. The flavours I got are lots of cigar box and an almost burnt character. Not what I would call pleasant and not what I would liken to XXXX. To be honest, these days in particular, I highly doubt XXXX use any late hops at all, and if they do it would be an almost negligable quantity. I certainly don't get any late hop flavour of any kind from XXXX beers. I would say that if you are looking to clone XXXX gold/draught just use a 60min addition (cluster or other) and eave it at that.

What yeast, Bribie?

If in a hurry use US-05 fermented cool, or if you can wait a while, S-189 or Wyeast Danish Lager Yeast.
I've yet to go on the XXXX tour, I'll definitely try to get there this year and see for myself re the hop usage :)

Thanks for the replies... maybe the hops, so will get some of the new seasons hops. I notice the AA is a lot lower than the Brewcraft ones I have..

Its that spicy, floral flavour I'm looking for..

So Fresh hops it is....

Latest posts

Back