Golden Belgian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
1.5Kg American 2Row
2722g Golden LME from Northern brewer here in the States
454g Candi sugar
30g Hallertau 60 Min.
30g Czech saaz 10 Min.

White Labs wlp545

mash in the oven you say? i'd like to hear more about that please

-Phill

1.5Kg American 2Row
2722g Golden LME from Northern brewer here in the States
454g Candi sugar
30g Hallertau 60 Min.
30g Czech saaz 10 Min.

White Labs wlp545

I changed my mind and made the partial an all grain small batch experiment.

so back to kit land

I'm going to add 500g of dex and see where that gets my sg

I changed my mind and made the partial an all grain small batch experiment.

so back to kit land

I'm going to add 500g of dex and see where that gets my sg
I added the other 500g of dex and 472g of sucrose

and about a 1/4 cup of Molasses

My sg was around 1.077 at 28C when I pitched the yeast

Not exactly a K&K.... more like a 2.72K & K & 1/2K

mash in the oven you say? i'd like to hear more about that please

-Phill

Pretty easy for BIAB, Get your bits up to mash temp. Put the whole pot with a lid into the oven "as cool as it will go". Mine has a min of 80C. Crack the door and I have a constant temp for as long as I want it. The bits on the outside may get a bit hot but not any more than stirring over fire.

If your oven only goes down to 100C you need to insulate the bottom of the pot and crack the door more. An oven thermo is pretty important at this point.

I did a 19ltr biab batch of a golden strong belgian and it in the fermenter.
Pilsner 85%
Dex 10%
belgian candi rks (home made) 5%
fuggles 11g 60 min
fuggles 13g 30min
Saaz flame out
yeast 1214

st grav 1060
No mashing in the oven lol just wrapped my work bomber jacket round pot wrkd pretty good :)

Make that 9 ltr not 19

I have fuggles in the fridge and somebody told me not to use it..."You should use a continental hop vs an English hop"

I'm a bit ticked now. I drove an hour and a half to get friggen Hallertau

I have fuggles in the fridge and somebody told me not to use it..."You should use a continental hop vs an English hop"

I'm a bit ticked now. I drove an hour and a half to get friggen Hallertau

I used what i had :p its a 4 hr drive to my nearset LHB store. The guidlines i followed called for styrian goldings and the table i have that shows sutible substitutes said fuggles matches. since i had them i brewed it lol..
They are probably right though a continental hop would be better so now you have it use it :p

I used what i had :p its a 4 hr drive to my nearset LHB store. The guidelines i followed called for styrian goldings and the table i have that shows suitable substitutes said fuggles matches. since i had them i brewed it lol..
They are probably right though a continental hop would be better so now you have it use it :p

This beer is taking forever. Last week I racked it into a glass carbo, as I am want to do...oft. sg 1.015

Next day it took off again. Nice white fluffy krausen, right out the lock...delicious BTW. I need it to be done next week. I may be forced to cold crash the batch take 23L for kegging and rack the remainder into 1 Gallon carboys. My older son is graduating, earned his King Scout rank (Eagle Scout in the US) and I will be having some ...guests. Who also might want a decent beer.

Good Lord! What a handful. A bit of residual sweet, lacing is like cream. Thick head.
Aroma is like pine swamp/ peat moss maybe? Alcohol hits you late. But there is a bunch. Fg was 1.005.
Yes I gave it some beano at the end because I thought it was too sweet and I'm glad I did.
Fantastic! Light Amber color. There is a slight oily ointment flavor...weird.

I got it carbed up. The first hit is a Munich malt/wheat. I am getting a strong heffeweis/Oktoberfest flavor... like a Listerine medicine...carbolic acid...
You banana nuts would love what I have going on here.

this is the yeast I used
wlp545

Back