Gold Coast family holidays, no brewery tours :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BungBrew

Reaction score
Well here I sit at a Gold Coast "kids" resort, only sell mega swill in bottles, local bottle shops have a crap selection.

Was meant to have done the CUB tour of their Yatala brewery today, a birthday gift from my wife booked through adrenalin.com.au, drove 50 mins to be told they stopped doing tours on April 7th :(

No happy!

Would have liked to visit Burleigh Brewing but they only do tours the first Saturday of the month.

Here for another week, any other options?

As per Brew Matt in another thread

+ Bottle Shop At Ferry Road Markets (Ferry Road Wine & Beer): 107 Ferry Road, Southport 4218
Some good boutique beers, and a few I had not seen previously. The owner was not there when I visited, and the person there at the time did not appear to be overly passionate about beer (but the cricket was on the telly). Be sure to look at the unrefridgerated shelf to the right for most of the unusual beers. There were a few I was going to purchase, but the date on one had a BBE from early 2012, and another did not have a date at all, so I passed altogether (not intended to be a critisism, just a little tired of purchasing out of date beer at full price). If I am in the area again, will definitely drop in for another visit.
[There is a kitchen shop next door across the carpark called the Wheel&Barrow that has a decent selection of Beer glasses including a modern double walled type that I have only seen on coffee glasses - worth a look if you like your beer glasses].

+ Vintage Cellars: 2721 Gold Coast Highway, Broadbeach 4218
Small bottleshop, but usually has a shelf or two in the fridge of boutique beer. The staff I have met don't appear to have much interested in beer, but someone there must be ordering it in (and customers buying it...).

Head up Mount Tamborine or drive down to Byron Bay

Take a run up to mount tamborine, eagle heights brewery and mt tamborine brewery should give you a craft beer fix, nice cheesery there as well as heaps of crap (craft) shops for the missus.

Head up Mt Tamborine, if your from the city you'll go 'Wow, this is real amazing', if your an outdoors or camping type or from the country you'll go 'Wow, this is really shit, yet expensive as all fuk'. The only good thing about Mt Tamborine is The Distillery, even more so if the Crazy Old Destiller is around for a chat, its worth the drive just going to speak to him.

http://www.tamborinemountaindistillery.com/

andytork said:
Head up Mount Tamborine or drive down to Byron Bay
Good Drive.

XXXX Brewery Tour ain't bad.

Other then that i'd;

Hire a boat from Jacobs Well and hit the water for the day (No license req).
Head to Nth Stradbroke Is
Head Sth into Nth NSW and drive the Coastal Road (Tweed Coast Rd), many little beaches and pubs to stop at, Kingscliff (Salt&Pepper / Mantra have a bar overlooking the beach with good beers on tap (Burleigh Brewing, etc)), Cabarita Beach, Hastings Point & Pottsville.

AndrewQLD said:
Take a run up to mount tamborine, eagle heights brewery and mt tamborine brewery should give you a craft beer fix, nice cheesery there as well as heaps of crap (craft) shops for the missus.
My folks took me and the mrs up there when we visited them after they first moved up to the GC last year.

Real nice little area, completely forgot about that. The brewery is a nice place for a tasting tray and then grab some cheeses from next door on your way out.

Mt Tamborine has been resurrected by Ian Watson from Murrays, and the beers are apparently 100% on the old brewers. I believe the bouncers and Tuesday bikini girls had been doing the brewing.

Liam_snorkel said:
aren't they an extract BOP joint?
they are.

was there in Jan this year.

Some nice beers on their list. a very nice apple pear and cinnamon cider.

I wouldnt put it as the greatest craft brewery ive been to, but was decent enough whilst in craft beer excile in Bilambil

I've seen their gluten free beer in a few independents around Brisbane. Just assumed there wouldn't be much of a brewery to look at.

timmi9191 said:
its more of a factory with some tables
Sounds like the Mt Tamborine brewery, but with only 1 barman who wouldnt know how to spell 'beer', unless they have done it up in the past 2 years.

Pretty much given up on a tour but managed to buy a 6-pack direct from Burleigh Brewing today .. I don't mind the IPA!

BungBrew said:
Pretty much given up on a tour but managed to buy a 6-pack direct from Burleigh Brewing today .. I don't mind the IPA!
Most of the Burleigh brews are available at BWS & Dans up there I found last time I was up.

Back