Going to give biab a try

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alistairj

Reaction score
Gday every one,
Ive been brewing for a while now using coopers tins and I've decided to give biab a try. I joined up here a while back and have been side tracked and haven't got any further. I've started reading up on here about it and one member was doing a tutorial on instagram so I joined up to that to have a look. Trying to get a bit of research done before I get started, and trying not to waste money on I things I don't need. Next time I'm in Melbourne Ill try and find a brew shop to have a look in and see what they have and need to find a big pot as well to get me started. Once I get all my crap sorted I'll keep you informed of the progress of how it goes. Cheers alistair

where are you in Gippsland mate? there might be a couple of peeps around that could help ya set-up and get into it

droid said:
where are you in Gippsland mate? there might be a couple of peeps around that could help ya set-up and get into it
Like me, with "too many brew things in the shed" so the boss says. :huh: Though she bought the last one (80L ss drum;soon to be kettle/mashtun).

Should say, if your close enough, come borrow some gear, I ain't using it every day. Have decent stocks of most stuff, happy to help out a local brewer, shiping can get a little exy. And happy to share savings I've made on bulk buys.

I'm in Loch which is near Korumburra/Leongatha. I'll have a look at mums she might have a big stock pot from when she used to do lots of sauce.

Pm me if ya need anything or get stuck.

Droid and I are planning a collaboration brew somewhere around Sale in the new year, your welcome to come join us, I think it'll be a camp overnight type thing. Good luck with your first AG brew.

I went BIAB recently after a few years of doing extract and partial mashes. Should have done it sooner. I chose the 'cheapest' point of entry and went with a Crown urn, with the element protector - from Grain and Grape. I also use cubes (no chill). I also went to a couple of their Sat morning demos to gain confidence.

First three beers have been great -- actually I'm still surprised how they good they turned out. All from this book: Brew Your Own British Real Ale. It's been easier than I though and very enjoyable.

I did Timothy Taylor Landlord, Thwaites Mild and Fuller's London Pride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoying this thread. Just recently back into the kit styles and am loving it. Got a few niggles with the quality of one or two kits (odour or errant flavours) and the. Wet is drinkable but the first one I see that's like home brew of old I know I'll throw a fkn tantrum. BIAB could be a goer.

Brewnicorn said:
Enjoying this thread. Just recently back into the kit styles and am loving it. Got a few niggles with the quality of one or two kits (odour or errant flavours) and the. Wet is drinkable but the first one I see that's like home brew of old I know I'll throw a fkn tantrum. BIAB could be a goer.
Do it mate. I know some people are happy with kit and kilo but if I didn't move on to BIAB I wouldn't be brewing at all anymore. Easy as, so much more enjoyable and at the end of the day the beer tastes bloody nice. [emoji106][emoji481]

Brewnicorn said:
I looked at the kit cans at the Super today and thought about it....only for a couple of seconds, but I'll only got back to them if it's a time factor. Not saying one's better than the other, but I enjoy the AG BIAB process right now. Gives me a good excuse to not wash the car/ clean anything/ paint/ fix or do anything else the missus has on THE LIST. With my roster I've got 2 to 3 days off a time ATM, and my BIAB Crowny brew day from set up to cleaned up only taking me about 4 or 5 hours, it's all good. Chuck on some tunes, do a bit of 'taste testing' during the brew, yeah!

I've also been following the 6 'P's' rule since my Choc Stout cube blew it's load - Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

When I moved from kits to extract brewing I noticed a little improvement in the quality of the beers I was making. When I moved from extract to AG with the urn, it was a whole new level of quality, or more accurately, freshness. The flavours of the hops and malt just seemed to jump out so much more, cleaner, crisper. I always found extract based beers to be a bit subdued and kind of muddied by comparison.

I haven't looked back since apart from one kit brew which was only done due to lack of time. It was an English bitter from Coopers and while it did turn out a pretty nice beer, it still wasn't in the bracket of my AG brews.

I love the idea of that Rocker. I must admit the cost scares me shitless, but I am wanting to get a kegging setup going in the new year too. Bottling drives me bonkers. I am giving mates beer to try and getting filthy bottles back. :-/
I'll be posting a question list in a legging thread over the weekend. Soon after expect the same for BIAB vs AG. :)

I've slowing been gathering more bits to get a brew sorted, reading up on here and a bit of YouTube research to keep me side tracked. It might not be as good as a big stock pot, but I've been given a keg that was going to made into a spit. The wife will be in spotlight soon so will get her to get some bag material hopefully when Christmas is over I can get stuck into brewing

Back