Going out for a few pints? Make sure you take your dried yeast with yo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwifirst

Reaction score
An interesting article on priming your stomach with dried yeast to somewhat counter the effects of the beer you are about to drink.

I laughed at this, I can imagine sitting there popping another teaspoon of US-05 down before ordering the extra pint.

Haha "Nah babe it's not spew, it's blow off from the dry yeast"

I can imagine the eyebrows being raised as you pull out a packet of white powder and carefully measure a spoonful.

Right, I'm bringing some dry yeast with me to the Merri Mashers free-hop beer tasting next week!

yeah would be a good thing for judges to do in comps haha

peas_and_corn said:
Wow, telling the bartender to pour into the glass he brought from home.
That's alright. I get the chef to put my sphericalised nitrogen laden, truffle foam onto my peronalised dinner plate all the time. Tastes much better when I can use my own Tibetan spun mountain steel knife and German erber fork to put them in my dainty, southern, grain- fed super mouth too.

Maybe a heart pint of kefir would do the trick....

Homebrew with plenty of active beasties floating around in it might work too - when we think of our ancestors regularly quaffing ales morning, noon, and night, sometimes ales that were just four, three, two days old and still in the process of fermentation - ie, possessing plenty of active yeast - that might help explain their allegedly copious intake.

Would be good to he able to use your favorite glass when going out, but probable not likely when some places have a policy that you can't even have the same glass refilled has to be a fresh glass every time.
Interested theory on the yeast but recon you would have to have a strong guts to handle all that yeast and not break out with a bad case of beer farts and not to mention the laxative effect yeast can have on some. Anyway whoever is giving it a try might want to report back for us.

Just take a hip flask of yeast slurry and have a swig between beers...........

Would the yeast be able to survive the acidity of the stomach? I though stomach ph was about 3-3.5.

I tried this the other weekend but man eating dried yeast is pretty disgusting, not much chop in flavour department, I think I'd rather just organize a designated driver and get drunk instead.

Dips Me Lid said:
I tried this the other weekend but man eating dried yeast is pretty disgusting,
Had you already read this article? Or were you just sitting around and thought "I wonder what a packet of dried yeast would taste like?"

I have all these old packets of dried coopers yeast sitting around from my kit days. I could put them in little baggies and sell them on King St as a hang over cure.

Kiwifirst said:
Had you already read this article? Or were you just sitting around and thought "I wonder what a packet of dried yeast would taste like?"

I have all these old packets of dried coopers yeast sitting around from my kit days. I could put them in little baggies and sell them on King St as a hang over cure.
I read the article first before eating the dried yeast, not a worthwhile endeavour, liquid yeast is heaps easier to consume.

Back