Going Nitrogen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
OK....... the decision is made....... I'm getting a nitrogen bottle and a stout tap to have home brewed stout and best bitter on tap with that awesome pour :)

Now, im wondering if anyone has already got this running and what gear they run.

Im talking regulators, gas bottle (beer gas or pure nitrogen?)

All my family and a lot of friends love a Guinness at the pub but say its not as good as it used to be. I agree!

Challenge accepted :)

cheers

OK....... the decision is made....... I'm getting a nitrogen bottle and a stout tap to have home brewed stout and best bitter on tap with that awesome pour :)

Now, im wondering if anyone has already got this running and what gear they run.

Im talking regulators, gas bottle (beer gas or pure nitrogen?)

All my family and a lot of friends love a Guinness at the pub but say its not as good as it used to be. I agree!

Challenge accepted :)

cheers

Ive got it at home for bitters, stouts and sometimes my irish red.
I carb really low with just co2, then dispense at high pressure using 70/30 beergas through the stout tap. Works great. I despense at 40psi and had to add a fair bit of line to slow the pour down a bit, you get a fair bit of restriction with the stout tap anyway, but i still needed more.

Cheers

Thats exactly what i was thinking of doing.

What Reg are you using? and how much beer line at what size do you need?

cheers

I have been looking for info on the BOC range of beer gas..... or Multigas as i have been informed its galled now........ and cant find a single scrap of info on it online ???????

Im after info on what sort of fitting the bottles from BOC need........ will one of these fit?

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16198/bee...or_-_Dual_Gauge

I also cant find an aussie retailer with these nitrogen regs on their sites... for obvious reasons.

The beergas just uses a normal co2 reg.
Im using 6 meters of 5mm ID line.

Just had a quick look and i cant find anything on the BOC gas blends either, Cellarmix i think BOC call it, i use Supamix30 from Supagas

thanks for your help mate :)

Tony, will PM you tomorrow with all the details when I can get to the shed. BOC sell it but cannot remember the details or codes, but it is 70% Nitrogen and 30% Co2 mix. They sell it in a cylinder a bit larger than the MKOL 6.0Kg Bottles. I think its VT size (??). Supagas also sell it. My cylinder definitely uses a Nitrogen reg.

Cheers Sully..... thats what im after..... BOC 70% nitrogen

any info would be great

Thanks

The code is Multimix 0037VT, but according to BOC website they only now supply it in an F size. Something you may have to confirm as I have had my cylinder going on 5 years now. Its not a very commonly sold gas, I rang 4 different BOC agents and all of them had nfi about the mix, kept trying to sell me Cellarmix. Had to go direct to BOC G&G to eventually track it down, even then it was the main distribution outlet.

Quote -
0037 - 30% CO2 in a balance of Nitrogen. It is largely used for dispensing bulk Stout for Guinness. It may also be recommended for other brewers that require 30% of CO2.

My Stout regulator has a Male Fitting similiar to a gas bottle
Hope that helps..It came from a Pub..
Cheers
PJ

Ross has the setup on one of his kegerators at Bacchus. I quizzed him about it, he just uses a normal reg and you need to have proper stout taps. Whilst nitrogen is great with stouts and UK "creamflow" ales I can't see it would be at all useful for lagers, as well as "traditional" American APAs turning out a bit weird. I take it you would also be running a CO2 setup in parallel.

Try this place. This is where I got my Co2 from and the guy was very helpful. Had quite a few "beer gas" bottles in the shed when I picked my bottle up. Best price I could find locally as well for Co2. Has a few different mixes:

Beer Gas - Speed Mix 55 (55% CO2 - 45% Nitrogen) Suits most Sites
Beer Gas - Speed Mix 30 (30% CO2 - 70% Nitrogen) Generally used to pour those thicker beers such as Guinness
Beer Gas - Speed Mix 40 (40% CO2 - 60% Nitrogen) For less carbonation
Beer Gas - Speed Mix 75 (75% CO2 - 25% Nitrogen) For more carbonation in long beer line runs

http://www.speedgas.com.au/mixed_beverage_gas.html

Ross has the setup on one of his kegerators at Bacchus. I quizzed him about it, he just uses a normal reg and you need to have proper stout taps. Whilst nitrogen is great with stouts and UK "creamflow" ales I can't see it would be at all useful for lagers, as well as "traditional" American APAs turning out a bit weird. I take it you would also be running a CO2 setup in parallel.

Yeah BG I will run a dual setup, with Co2 for the usual suspects and dedicate a tap to nitrogen poured stout and bitter. Plan to have a corny of stout and Best Bitter in the kegorator side by side so i can just switch the line over as i please.

Mmmmmm I can see this growing into a bigger chest freezer and more taps :p

Try this place. This is where I got my Co2 from and the guy was very helpful. Had quite a few "beer gas" bottles in the shed when I picked my bottle up. Best price I could find locally as well for Co2. Has a few different mixes:

Beer Gas - Speed Mix 55 (55% CO2 - 45% Nitrogen) Suits most Sites
Beer Gas - Speed Mix 30 (30% CO2 - 70% Nitrogen) Generally used to pour those thicker beers such as Guinness
Beer Gas - Speed Mix 40 (40% CO2 - 60% Nitrogen) For less carbonation
Beer Gas - Speed Mix 75 (75% CO2 - 25% Nitrogen) For more carbonation in long beer line runs

http://www.speedgas.com.au/mixed_beverage_gas.html

Cool..... the 30/70 mix is what im after. I will call BOC on Monday first casue my local BOC is only 1Km away..... thats an hour drive :( but good to know i can get it from there if needed.

cheers

Hey Tony,
I use Elgas/Stargas Cellarmix, cost around $130 for a 9kg (I think) bottle including rent. It was meant to be about $170 but he gave me a couple of discounts because I was a homebrewer. He was kind of amazed that people had all this gear at home :D

I use a Harris Co2 regulator - purchased the adaptor here. It's fine to use a Co2 reg as long as the quality is decent apparently.

After kegging I roll the keg on the ground hooked up for around 30 seconds to a minute to get some Co2 into it - if it's not enough then just leave it on Co2 serving pressure overnight. I put Scottish Ale, Stout and Porter on it, wouldn't do without it for sure :icon_drunk:

$140 from Ross and then you have to buy a shank - never really looked around for prices. Been really happy with it and am going to get another. They have second hand Guinness ones on EvilBay all the time that are about 40 US plus 45 post - no shank.

$140 from Ross and then you have to buy a shank - never really looked around for prices. Been really happy with it and am going to get another. They have second hand Guinness ones on EvilBay all the time that are about 40 US plus 45 post - no shank.

See Greg at Andale in Coorparoo, should pick up a fully re-kitted s/h unit for ~$60.

339oho9.jpg

wvdh0m.jpg

Back