Going All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickle09

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm making the jump to all grain brewing very soon and am interested in purchasing a grainfather due to reading numerous threads on AHB. Just a couple of questions to get me started.

Can anyone recommend a good online brew shop to purchase the newest model that can be used with a mobile device?

And where do you recommend buying your all grain ingredients? I live near Newcastle. Do you buy your ingredients online? Or are there brew shops with a good range near my area?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Cheers.

brewman are in newcastle mate and he can sort you out for almost everything.

As above - brewman would be your best start.

There's heaps of options and most deliver but BM is local, stocks most/all you need and has very competitive prices from what I've seen.

Reputation is good, my limited personal experience with him backs that up.

Thanks for the response guys. Will definitely be going to brewman this weekend. Cheers.

Can't recommend Brewman enough, quick delivery, great prices, great service all round.

Check out his website, register, use brew builder (there's heaps of already designed recipes) and you're away.

Cheers Judanero. I looked him up last night and am very happy with what I saw.

Brewman is of course excellent.

There's also a new LHBS at Belmont, south-bound (east) side of the road, just south of bunnings et.al.

Talked to the couple that ran the shop, it's well stocked, and they know what their talking about.
Pretty sure they had Grainfathers in stock too. (as well as BIAB bags if you wanted to start low-cost).

I heard of the new shop at Belmont. No further info available from me about it, though.
Depends on where you are in Newie, but I use and recommend the Brewman. Top bloke and great prices (and superior delivery times I hear). I usually pick up my stuff as it's a 20 min drive from my place.
Welcome (soon) to the all-grain obsession (you'll see) and please enter a beer in the Newie Show comp, put your hand up to help with the stewarding or judging and come along to HUB meeting.
That is all!

Thanks for the info Mr Wibble. I actually contacted Brewman yesterday and went for a drive and bought equipment and ingredients to get me started. Spent over an hour there getting questions answered and learning about all grain brewing. Top bloke as everyone has said.

Cheers Les. I'll be keen for all of that when I gain a little experience. When and where are the Newie Show comps held? And is the HUB meeting at Hamilton? I think I read that in another thread.

Does he still have the sheep in his front yard? I always miss his driveway if the sheep are out the back.

When I order, it generally gets here to Kyogle overnight, often in about 20 hours.

Happy brewing.

Didn't see any sheep mate. I knew I was at the right place when I saw all the bags of grain though. I'll probably look at delivery in the future too. Cheers.

The show comp is judged usually at our club venue, which is Hamilton North. There may not be a Regional Show next year, if rumours pan out, so pls get out to this one.

The Show Comp thread is here.

Like I mentioned, if you come along to the club for the comp you can taste the winning beer, if there's enough. There is also the chance to get some judging skills and that can help you as a brewer.
One more thing: outside competitions, the club is a good place to get honest feedback on how to improve your beer, so bring a sample/taster along to a meeting. See ya one day soon.

Thanks for all of that info Les. I am interested in all of that. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back