Gmail Accounts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Anyone want one?

I have four invites left , I need your present email to send the invite too

Just sent u a email about scoring one off those gmails

sintax

I have sent out all the invites , sorry dougy you were last and missed out mate :(
I am sure someone else will soon have some more invites

Guys with yahoo mail , you may find your invite goes into your spam folder , check there if you have not recieved it , perhaps the same with hotmail?

Cheers Batz

No probs thanks Batz.

If anyone gets any invites I know someone who's looking for one ;)

Guys, if you're using GMail, have a read of this.

GMail is creepy

It tells you how Google will use the content of your emails. Some big brother stuff to keep in mind.

Boots

I have a few, PM your email if you want one.

thanks boots for the link

i havent set up an account yet but will now take a back seat for awhile to see how it pans out.

cheers
big d

No worries.

I won't even send email to anyone with gmail, because I disagree with their policies of storing and scanning EVERYTHING.

It's only because google has such a good public image that nothing is being made of it.

I bet if it was micro$oft doing it everyone would be up in arms

The stuff is being scanned with computer programs though, not by people, which results in targeted ads just like those in the bottom of this page.

I would rather have targeted text based ads and my email scanned by some algorithm where I get 1000MB of storage, than large obtrusive flash based ads for stuff I'm not even interested in where I get <5MB storage.

I havent begun using my Gmail account yet, but I personally don't have a problem with their methods.

I hear what you are saying boots, if it was microsoft, I bet there'd be a big beat up about it everywhere you look!

dougy

I have had my gmail account for sometime , and I am very happy with it

Someone is watching what I email? :blink:

What sites I access :unsure:

Come guys be real , you think this is something new?

Big brother is not out there?

If your that paranoid I suggest you turn off you internet

Batz :ph34r:

by the way gmail is one of the very few emails that do not ask for names , postal addresses etc

Still it's your choice hey?

Batz :ph34r:

Someone looking !! :unsure: :blink:

Can't say there are any state secrets in my emails ... they can read em if they want :)

Its nice and fast, hopefully they will keep the adds limited as it is now.

I've got my gmail set up now and I really dont care if "they" spy on the rude pictures and jokes that some of you and other mates send me.

I wont be discussing anything really personal on any email account that I have.
BTW I have three.

If I want to communicate with a mistress or talk national security I will have to make sure I do it in person, after all someone may be monitoring your phone calls. B)

I recon the storage is excellent and it costs nothing.

Thanks for the invite Doc.

Cheers

Hi Dicko

I didn't mean to come across as paranoid.

If you're not concerned that's absolutely fine, you have agreed to the terms and conditions, and consented knowingly. However, people who send you an email haven't even read the terms and conditions which you agreed to, yet their email to you still gets scanned to make google profits.

That's the "pie in the sky" problem i have.

nuff said

Actually, a guy at work found a util which lets you mount a gmail mailbox as a file system, giving you 1GB of free storage. Damn open source people .. always finding better ways to do things.... :)

http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/more.html

Data retention

Some news stories have suggested that Google intends to keep copies of
users' email messages even after they've deleted them, or closed their
accounts. This is simply not true. Google keeps multiple backup copies
of users' emails so that we can recover messages and restore accounts in
case of errors or system failure. Even if a message has been deleted or
an account is no longer active, messages may remain on our backup
systems for some period of time. This is standard practice in the email
industry, which Gmail and other major webmail services follow in order
to provide a reliable service for users. We will make reasonable efforts
to remove deleted information from our systems as quickly as is
practical

if they didnt have backups and there was a crash they would get twice as flamed then keeping backups.

Email systems have to be backed up, its just the way of things, we use a 3 month rotation for exchange backups, its just good sense to do so. Hanging onto gig's of emails "forever" including all the normal spam and crud people receive and keep, would be a logistical nightmare.

Storing that much kludge isnt impossible, but I doubt google(or anyone for that matter) could afford to keep "everything" "forever" and keep it in a usable format so it could be utilized as a supermassive data warehouse.

Hi Boots,

I mean no offence with my comments re the G mail accounts.
I dont use g mail or hotmail for anything important but i do believe that any service provider could keep and re use any info they wish, so any email with private info is a gamble.
I have other email addresses if anyone has a problem with g mail and still needs to communicate in that way.
As I said before the extra storage space is excellent.

BTW I dont have a "mistress" and I have no real concern with National Security. ;)

Cheers

Most of the complaints I see about gmail involve the possibility that the content could be retrieved for use by US law enforcement agencies to prove cases against people. If you're a crim, don't discuss "business" in email. I have no problems with gmail. The section I quoted above was to show google's official stance on the storage of mail - if you delete the message, it may already be backed up and the backup tapes will be retained... naturally.

Back