Glycol Set-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
Hi all
On the weekend I picked up my 3 tap tower, with drip tray, AND I think it's got a Glycol set up in it.
Also getting a glycol pump, so how do I set it up ????
See Pics

IMGP0273.JPG
IMGP0275.JPG
IMGP0274.JPG

All you need is a bucket of water sitting beside the kegs in the freezer. I guess if your having a party and wanted to cool it right down you could chuck some ice into the bucket aswell. I think a few people have similar set ups most I pressume just use a pond pump inside the bucket or water. I pressume the blue tube is the in and the other the out at a guess.

Jayse

I've got a flooded font too.
I just have a 2 litre resovoir in the keg fridge/freezer with a pond pump in it attached to the cooling coil in the font. The pond pump is connected to the external thermostat, so everytime the fridge/freezer comes on to cool down cool water gets pumped around.
I've had better performance from the water (both cooling and not spoiling) by adding salt to it.

Beers,
Doc

Nice Normell...

The Long tube is the glycol/chilled water "In" with the short tube the "Out"...

does the pipe "flood" the entire font, or does the pipe run up into the font then back out... If its flooded, then how do they seal around the beer lines, If its not flooded, the coil/bends would be a work of art, and how would they get it in there.

I recall Doc's was a coil, however i can see how they could fit that in his unit, .....

hmmmm i wonder

It goes in and up the font and then if it is a "T" goes out to each end where it is open.
this then floods the entire font and the short pipe is a drain.
Flooded fonts usually have female SS SNaplock fittings in them.

Hope this helps

Gout said:
how do they seal around the beer lines, and can you replace the beer lines? if so how do you re-seal it up

cheers
[post="81053"][/post]​
I need to know this too, I have a font that has very old beer lines in there and I need them changed - anyone got any idea how it's done? Or am I best to take it to someone who knows how to do it?

In flooded fonts they are a REAL PITA....

Just use teh old lines and put a splice on them.

Yeah I have a flooded font and the only way to access them is by unscrewing them from the base, but I have no idea how they are attatched on the other side let alone how they get there.. it's just that they are filthy and no matter how much cleaning solution I run through them they wont clean up.

u need to unscrew the compression nut on the bottom to allow the line to move within the font - u could try adding a splice to the line to connect the new line and hope it will pull through.
U need to remove the collar holding the SS female screwin snaplock fitting - it will unscrew/pull out - might have agrub screwholding it - not sure.
If u take the font to ANdale - they will rekit it for you - but it will cost - none of the beerinstallers like mucking around with them.

I don't have a flooded font but was thinking about getting one. My Idea was to use Radiator Coolant and pond pump as this is at least partially glycol. Just a thought :rolleyes:

BRAD T said:
I don't have a flooded font but was thinking about getting one. My Idea was to use Radiator Coolant and pond pump as this is at least partially glycol. Just a thought :rolleyes:
[post="81328"][/post]​

I was thinking the same thing but I have heard stories that sometimes coolant can be corrosive if mixed in the wrong ratios?

I used a salt water mix :) and that was corosive! lasted a few days and i removed it and flushed now using car radiator glycol, it has been dooing a fine job and no more frozen bucket in the freezer. Chills the font done really quick!

I will be pulling out the lines and liquid this weekend so i can give an update after that.

A few pics of these set-ups would be a help

Batz

A few pics of these set-ups would be a help

Batz

i will snap some pics of mine for you, mine is a dodgy home made version, eg its not a "flooded font" rather i have put a line into, and a drain out, to flood the font and sealed it with hot glue... been working for a year now, but i want to change the lines so i need to pull it all out and do it again :( - not much fun that

I will be getting my Glycol mix from ANdale - much cheaper and is the right mix/stuff.

I was going to get Glycol from Andale (NSW) but at $6 per litre and a minimum of 20L purchase I decided aginst it.

i am getting mine at that price - but i can get it in 5ltr container - supercheap auto is roughly the same price for longlife coolant concentrate.

Back