• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Glycol chiller for sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewerswife

Reaction score
Used ice bank/ glycol chiller for sale

Pick up from leichhardt sydney
Cash on collection
20170930_123847_resized.jpg

Make me an offer. Thanks

Attachments

• 20170930_123900_resized.jpg
    20170930_123900_resized.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 20170930_123853_resized.jpg
    20170930_123853_resized.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
I had a bit of a google and i think it might be an ice bank. Happy to be corrected though. Either way i'm sure someone will find a use for it. Not sure what it would be worth though!

I had a bit of a google and i think it might be an ice bank. Happy to be corrected though. Either way i'm sure someone will find a use for it. Not sure what it would be worth though!

Oh crap! I really am hopeless with the brewing world!!!! Thanks for letting me know

The unit was attached directly to the beer fonts in our kitchen upstairs ia a long foam encased tube.

Husband used to refer to it as a glycol chiller but I guess ice bank is the correct terminology. From my understanding he would adjust the settings on it to increase or decrease the amount of ice that formed on the beer font.

I cant remember if this was also somehow attached to the keg fridge that held the beer (most likely) as i have since disconnected and removed that set up.

He would have most likely shared pics on previous posts under his username donbourke of how he used it.

If anyone has a use for it let me know!

I have also listed in a separate thread glass beakers and flasks used for making starters etc.

It’s looks possible to run glycol through it as well via a temp controlled submersible pump, which would be perfect for a jacketed fermenter.
Exactly my thinking. I want to get a glycol chiller and move to this sort of setup, but this is too far away. @Pnutapper can you resolve the question of icebank vs glycol chiller for the good lady and Alchomist?

If there is a thermostat on the unit somewhere (I can't see one in the pics, but can see instruction label) then it is good to go with glycol. If it is an ice bank unit there is a probe that detects ice, and will tell the controller to stop the compressor when the ice has formed to a suitable thickness. If there is a thermostat, then that controls the compressor start / stop.

If you put glycol in an ice bank unit, no ice will form, and the compressor wil keep running until it blows up. (Celli do not have thermal protection.)

The fact that OP suggests ice formed on their fount, rather than just condensation coupled with the fact that there is a thermostat instruction label,suggests to me that it could well be a glycol unit. If there is a thermostat, it will have an LED readout display.

EDIT: It seems to me that in the main pic, on further inspection that there is a 'stat under the power plug.

3rd pic, right hand label “instructions for setting cut-off thermostat “

I’m thinking it is a glycol chiller as donbourke referred to it. After searching through a heap of his posts from ‘11 & ‘12 I can only find threads on the brewery build, no mention of the chiller. Pretty impressive set-up he had.

So getting back to the discussion of cost, the only thing I could find was a second hand Celli that looked the same on Greys sold for $380. I honestly have no idea what these things are worth.

Anyone have any thoughts?

3rd pic, right hand label “instructions for setting cut-off thermostat “

I’m thinking it is a glycol chiller as donbourke referred to it. After searching through a heap of his posts from ‘11 & ‘12 I can only find threads on the brewery build, no mention of the chiller. Pretty impressive set-up he had.

So getting back to the discussion of cost, the only thing I could find was a second hand Celli that looked the same on Greys sold for $380. I honestly have no idea what these things are worth.

Anyone have any thoughts?
If it helps, the list price of these units is around $1750 + GST. I think I would be happy with 350 - 400 if I was selling it.

These are an ice bank - I have one myself. Depending on the size . They are worth between 2 and 4 k new. They are awesome. Only need to fill with water. They get from room temp to freezing around the coils in 15 mins- looks like it comes with coils and python insulation as well? That's a bargain - I wouldn't sell mine for that!!

These are an ice bank - I have one myself. Depending on the size . They are worth between 2 and 4 k new. They are awesome. Only need to fill with water. They get from room temp to freezing around the coils in 15 mins- looks like it comes with coils and python insulation as well? That's a bargain - I wouldn't sell mine for that!!

I'd really like to have your business! Below is the latest list price for a GEO 50 Vertical Ice Bank chiller, (not Glycol, as I strongly suggest that this unit under discussion is.). It is the latest model of Celli Ice bank from Bracton.

GEO50V Icebank / Vertical / 1/2HP / 22Kg Bank / 4 Coil $1,744.30 (Pic below is a 2 coil. Note mechanical temp control under the power plug.)

upload_2017-12-15_8-16-9.png

Obviously it would be ideal if @Brewerswife could post pics of the data plate to end speculation. However it is fairly evident that there is a thermostat under the power plug at the front of the unit above the condenser coil.

Latest posts

Back