Gluten Free?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jino

Reaction score
This may be a very stupid question so my apologies in advance if it is.

Do you guys know if it is possible to make gluten free beer? If so what is in it? Does anyone have a recipe? I heard of a guy working on it.

The reason i ask is because i know a few people who have recently been diagnosed with celiac desease and they can't drink beer and they are after some alternative/gluten free beer.

Thanks

Yeah i did actually do a search AFTER posted. I will think more next time!

Thanks i'll subscribe.

If you develop the killer gf beer, post back with your results!
The trick will be finding buckwheat (or other gf grain) malt.

Jino,

You won't find malted buckwheat or sorghum in OZ. Rob Hinterding on OZCB may have had some success but I haven't.

I have unhusked Buckwheat and Sorghum in stock that will require an enzyme mash. I have the enzymes in stock if you want to have a go.

Ring or PM me if you wish.

Regards
Dave

I'm going to have a chat to more experienced brewer i know in the next few days about it and i'll let know know how it goes after i put it down.

Thanks Goliath i'll see how i go and give you a call/PM if need be.

I think corn and rice will be the way to go.

Your spit has all the enzymes you need :)

Jovial Monk

Right!

Geez some comments are helpfull to brewers aren't they.

Spit!... hell i'm not sitting on my arse in the middle of some desert left of Mozambique trying to make some midly alcoholic puke in a clay pot to satisfy the vague delerium requirements for the underfed crowd at some poor 11 year old virgins wedding!

We are trying to make beer.

The french used to piss in the wine vats to alter the PH too perhaps we could wee in the mash! We now have the fortunate luxury of the knowledge of science so we know why things happen.

I also have 10 DE Maize Maltodextrin and 30 DE Maize Maltodextrin.

I have Liquid Rice Malt extract in stock but that can't be classified as Gluten Free in OZ because the people that make it also make gluten product on the same equipment. (but it's probably gluten free)

I have Aloe Vera on the way (liquid) 25% more sugar than cane by weight. (they make mezcal tequila from this did you know)

In addition there is also tapioca starch (cassava) in stock but that will also require the addition of enzymes for saccharification to occur. I suppose you could hock a lurgy into it to achieve some kind of result but, in the abscence of malted grain, enzymes are probably the sensible way to go.

Anyway,
if you want help on a reasonable basis just let me know.

Regards
Dave

GOLIATH said:
Spit!... hell i'm not sitting on my arse in the middle of some desert left of Mozambique trying to make some midly alcoholic puke in a clay pot to satisfy the vague delerium requirements for the underfed crowd at some poor 11 year old virgins wedding!
So is that a yes or a no on the spit?

I may be interested in some aloe when you get it in stock, by the way. When is it coming in?

GOLIATH said:
I suppose you could hock a lurgy into it to achieve some kind of result
Hi Dave

I was thinking the same thing, but JM didn't provide a grain to lurgy ratio. Do you use 1kg to 50 lurgys? Who knows?

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
I was thinking the same thing, but JM didn't provide a grain to lurgy ratio. Do you use 1kg to 50 lurgys? Who knows?
I believe you would not be interested in the number of "loogies", but the total volume of saliva and the enzyme content.

Less active enzymes (mainly alpha-amylase) per volume means that you would need a larger volume.

You might want to consider the lactic bacteria that live in the mouth too. You might get an unexpected sour mash effect.

or you might get serious and realise that JM was just tugging some legs.

BTW, JM, maybe U should know that most people here take you at your word. Maybe you could indicate a p1sstake with a note of LOL?

Disclaimer: info re spittle not to be taken seriously...

OK Weizguy

I thought the smily enough evidence of leg-pulling. . .I will add a LOL as wel in future

JM

Please don't add a LOL, there is enough of that on the internet already.

OK, maybe don't use LOL (sorry, I just typed it again), but maybe something else to make it extremely obvious to those who expect a serious answer. Half a dozen smileys?

For me, I love a joke (U gotta when you're a public servant), but some may consider it inappropriate and therefore miss the humour.

My 2 cents worth (rounded down to zero)

Seth

I quite understand, was a Federal PS for nearly 20 years!

JM

Can we have a emoticon that says Taking the Piss? or Pulling your leg? :)

I have made a few attempts at gluten free for the inlaws, its not the best but if you haven't been able to drink beer for 2 years anything goes just about!

I malted corn (maize) and buckwheat, drying the corn in the sun but not roasting. The buckwheat was roasted until a fairly dark colour in the oven.

This was also my first attempt at mashing etc so a lot of lessons still to be learnt.

mashed ~2kg corn, ~1kg b/wheat for approx 90 mins at 60 dropping to 55C, sparged to give about 25L total. Boiled with 3x 500g jars rice syrup from Coles, 1/2 pint dark corn syrup and ~500g dextrose and ~90g Hersbruker hop pellets for 1hour. 25g Saaz added at flame out. These brews seem to need heaps of hops to get any flavour.

Final vol ~20L, used saflager yeast.

must make better notes and use hydrometer next time - in laws just happy to have some sort of beer for Xmas

Latest posts

Back