Gluten Free Mash Paddle 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi brewers one and all,
One of the difficulties facing gluten free brewers is that it is difficult entering gluten free beers in a competition - gluten free beers are always out of style except for the experimental category, and judges really don't know what a gluten free beer should or could taste like.

So, the time has come to have a gluten free beer competition. The competition the "Gluten Free Mash Paddle" is similar the the ordinary Mash Paddle, except the ingredients used and hence the beer must be gluten free. This means, suprise suprise, NO barley or wheat malt, no rye, oats and no yeast grown on barley worts hence no liquid yeasts.

This competition is open to all Australian brewers as long as you follow the rules. Some of the prelimary judges are coeliacs, so if you don't follow the rules, you will make them SICK, and it takes about two weeks to recover. The rules are similar to the ordinary Mash Paddle Comp.

OK, the next question is "where do I get gluten free ingredients for making beer, and how do I do it. Grain and Grape in Melbourne will have available malted sorghum, and amaranth grain (puffed), from next week. Other ingredients are fairly standard, try your local home brew shop, supermarket or health food store.

Instructions on how to brew using gluten free ingredients are provided at http://www.sillyyak.com.au/gfb

If you are interested please let me know by email, so I can get some idea of the level of interest. The prize will of course be a Gluten Free Mash Paddle.

Following the specs of the mash Paddle, the style is a reasonably traditional Aussie Ale.

This competition is All grain only.

Due to the nature of an Aussie Ale an exception to the ingredients rules this year allows for the use of sugar as this was and has been a common adjunt in Australian beers.

"Gluten Free Mash Paddle 2005"

The Beer:

SG 1045 - 1060. Light Golden to Amber in colour.
Light to medium body
Medium to High Carbonation
Good head Retention
Good hop balance between flavour and bitterness

IBU's up to 30

The beer will be judged on flavour, balance and appeal. Techniques and sanitation will play a major part in the judging.

Grain Bill

Pale Sorghum malt

Buckwheat (home malted and/or roasted)

Roasted sorghum malt

Any other raw or roasted gluten free grain

Sugar [if desired](only cane sugar or maize based sugars)

Mash

Decoction (or Schmitz process), and if wanted a sour mash but with a final temperature rest range 63 - 68 degrees

Hops

Any or all of the following in any manner you choose.

Pride of Ringwood, Goldings and Halertau. .... No Cascade!!

IBU range 20 - 30

The regime of hopping is entirely your choice.

Yeast

Any British or European Ale dried yeast from Fermentis (Safale/Safbrew) or Danstar

Recipe

Every entry will need to have a detailed recipe provided with the bottles covering every aspect of the beer you brewed. Times temperatures ..... the way the wind was blowing.

Bottling

All competition bottles must be 750ml PET [brown plastic] and two [2] must be provided. All entries must be bottle conditioned. Filtered kegged entries will not be accepted or judged. I will need to see yeast.

Judging

Two rounds of judging, hence two bottles.

The first round of judging will determine the best five entries, the final round of judging will be done by the "Normal" Mash Paddle judges.

Because the beer will have to endure australia post, clarity will not be a "fault" area.

Robert, the gluten free brewer

Can we use extract or does it have to be AG?

The only gluten free extracts that I know of are corn syrup (if it is actually made from maize) and rice syrup (not all rice syrups are gluten free). The rice syrup is excluded, the corn (maize) syrup is allowed as it is a maize based sugar.

Can I ask why? :unsure: :unsure:

Batz :blink:

Dumb question time.

a) I've heard that gluten can stick to cooking objects etc, do we need to clean the brewing gear with any special cleaners to ensure that the beer is gluten free?

B) I assumed flaked rice is OK?

c) are other non grain adjuncts allowed?

So that everyone is fully aware, I have discussed this addition to the mash paddle for this year with Robert over the past 3 weeks and I'm very pleased it gives Gluten free brewers an outlet for their competitive streak.

Steve

Batz said:
Can I ask why? :unsure: :unsure:

Batz :blink:

About 1% of the population has Coeliac Disease, there are no drugs etc to cure it, they must avoid anything made from wheat, barely, oats and rye. This means normal beer must be avoided.

Surprisingly enough, some people are not that happy with this. The solution is gluten free beer.

jgriffin said:
Dumb question time.

a) I've heard that gluten can stick to cooking objects etc, do we need to clean the brewing gear with any special cleaners to ensure that the beer is gluten free?

B) I assumed flaked rice is OK?

c) are other non grain adjuncts allowed?
Normakl cleaning proecdures should be good enough, except that beer stone should be removed from mash tuns and kettles, malt mills must be cleaned very carefully, and wooden mash paddles that have been used for normal beer should be avoided.

Flaked rice is fine,.

What other non grain adjuncts do you mean?

Well without giving away my idea, think along the lines of orange peel or spices etc.

jgriffin said:
Well without giving away my idea, think along the lines of orange peel or spices etc.
Looks like I left a bit of the specs out. The iidea is to brew something like an Australian Pale Ale. What you are talkig about would end up like a Belgian Wit - which you can do very well with gluten free beer.

I will edit the specs

Latest posts

Back