Gluten Free - How far do I need to go

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moad

Reaction score
Currently boiling a batch of sorghum extract, will add a little bit of honey at the end but want to make it as simple as possible and build on it from there.

I would like to keg it and serve on tap but I am not sure if I would need to replace lines for that tap or not. It would depend on the sensitivity of the drinker I guess?

I am also interested to know, as I know a few people who have developed gluten intolerances but long for a beer.

If you're serving someone with extreme sensitivity I would at least clean the lines beforehand with something like TSP.

If you clean the lines with PBW/sodium percarbonate etc, pull your taps apart and make sure everything is perfectly clean then you should be fine (which I'd suggest should be done each time you change a keg anyway)

My sister in law is coeliac (real gluten allergy, not just "intolerant") and I've served her cider and sparkling water from taps and lines that have previously held beer with no issues at all.

JD

Latest posts

Back