Gluten Free Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudscum

Reaction score
Can gluten free beer be made on equipment that has been used to brew Barley/wheat based beers?After having been cleaned and sanitized and rinsed very well.

if so would i have to use a dry yeast as i believe that wet yeast use malt in there production and dry dont!

How well does the yeast ferment out a non gluten based wort and is there a need for extra nutrients?

cheers from a gluten free mate

white labs have gf cultures that are available.

I have done a couple of GF batches so am by no means an expert.

All danstar and fermentis dry yeast and bintani yeast nutrient are GF. I use yeast nutrient, and increase pitch rate as well to ensure a thourogh ferment. Have hade no attenuation issues so far, more than what can be said for my non GF batches. Perhaps no "need" for nutrient, but would definitely recommend 2 packs of healthy dry yeast for a 23L batch.

I can't recommend using the same equipment, as it seems different people have very severe effects from the smallest amounts of gluten. The two people I brew for have had no drama however after using the same equipment - as clean as I can make it.

Gday Proudscum, Millet Man is still floating around on the forum now and again and he has been really helpful when I have asked him a few things (and toured his brewery here in Ballarat).

here is an old post that may or may not be of some help: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=11096&st=0

From memory in the Ballarat Brewery they use seperate equipment for the standard bitter they make to the gf stuff.

Cheers.

I have two people in my house with Coeliacs disease. Lucky me.... I don't suffer that awful disease and I brew AG, mostly Pale Ales. About twice a year I brew GF beer successfully using my mash vessel. That being said I really gave it a hell of a good wash (4 or 5 times I think) a complete dismantle and a hard scrub. Whilst I wash and clean my mash vessel every time the times I really give it a good going over is just before I make GF beer. When I started making GF beer I purchased a second fermenting vessel and I keep this separate from by gluten one.

Purests would say that using the same mash vessel is too dangerous, but in my house we use the same utensils for cooking GF food as good containing Gluten, by that I mean frypans, pots, choppingboards etc. We have never had a problem, we just have to be clean.

From a fella who has drunk quite a few of both GF and non GF beer I can honestly say that GF beer is..............alright, just alright. As the other have indicated there are some very good products out there particularly O'Briens (no affiliation etc), but I still found them to be a bit bland for my tastes and have tarted the brew up a bit with the addition of extra hops.

Is the reason people want gluten free beer because they liked it before the disease / condition (whatever it is that leads to the individual no longer being able to tolerate gluten)? There are lots of delicious, gluten free, alcoholic beverages - though of course they're all very different from beer. So I'm guessing they must have a taste for it. I'm amazed we can get anything even remotely close. Do these alternative malts activate hops in the same way? Or is the flavour difference entirely due to the different malts?

Due to the differnt grains used Tanga - all the GF grains taste as different from barley as wheat does, just in a different way. Hops and other ingredient work the same way though.

The gluten intolerant person i brew for, loves a beer, always has - tell her that she should drink a cider or a wine or a mead instead of a beer and you are asking for a punch in the eye - she can drink those, she does - what she misses badly though, is a beer. So i make her one.

I only wish she was a hoppy beer drinker, brewing a "craft" style GF beer would be A hell of a lot easier, but she likes carlton draught and its a bugger trying to brew a beer like that from GF ingredients and having it turn out anything but "wrong"

the gluten free ones from germany arent too bad, you can get them at dans

Is the reason people want gluten free beer because they liked it before the disease / condition (whatever it is that leads to the individual no longer being able to tolerate gluten)? There are lots of delicious, gluten free, alcoholic beverages - though of course they're all very different from beer. So I'm guessing they must have a taste for it. I'm amazed we can get anything even remotely close. Do these alternative malts activate hops in the same way? Or is the flavour difference entirely due to the different malts?

no just got a mate who loved beer and is finding it the hardest thing to avoid due to being told he now has to be totally gluten free.

i was once tested for allergies by a natropath who thought i was wheat intolerant and i told him no way am i wheat intolerant because i love bread and beer.lucky very mild lactose but i still do milk/cheese.

As others have said, make sure it is really clean - metal pots are easy enough to get properly clean but plastic can be a bit more difficult so maybe have a separate fermenter and plastic tubing for the gluten free batches. Dry yeast is fine and there is a good range and I've always had more sucess with them than the GF liquid yeasts. Shouldn't need yeast nutrient unless you have a large amount of simple sugars/extracts in the recipe.

Cheers, Andrew.

Can gluten free beer be made on equipment that has been used to brew Barley/wheat based beers?After having been cleaned and sanitized and rinsed very well.

if so would i have to use a dry yeast as i believe that wet yeast use malt in there production and dry dont!

How well does the yeast ferment out a non gluten based wort and is there a need for extra nutrients?

cheers from a gluten free mate

What grains does one obtain to make gluten free beer and where from?

I've a mate who recently has had to give up beer, due to gluten intolerance and it's quite depressing for him. He's basically found a bad intolerance, not coeliac, but he'd like to avoid feeling ill all the time.

Any info regarding what base to use for a GF beer. I'm an AG brewer, so the balance I can probably figure out (though any info is great), but the base is really bugging me.

Goomba

The most common GF grain that people brew with is malted sorghum. Its the most common one because it also happens to be the only one that you have any chance at all of being able to actually buy pre-malted for you. There are plenty of other grains that are gluten free - but if you want to brew with them you will have to malt them for yourself.

And gluten free brewing is quite a bit more involved than normal AG brewing because the grains (if you can actually manage to find some malted sorghum) dont behave the same way that barley or other malted cereals you might have used before behave.

You can brew an extract based beer from sorghum extract that you can most likely buy from one of the sponsors - but if you want to do it from grain... You've got a learning curve ahead of you. There has been quite a bit of stuff about GF brewing posted over the last feww years - do a bit of a search and you should find all the information you need.

TB

Thanks TB. Did a search and found this topic, but not much else. Might search for sorghum.

I"m happy to extract for this - the learning curve is too great at this point in time. I have enough decent hops to ensure it works well.

Goomba

I know I am digging up an old thread here. but I was wondering if anyone has experience brewing a GF beer with the Briess white sorghum and/or brown rice syrup? I have a gluten intolerant mate who would like a beer and while AG is how I brew my usual stuff I think it might be better to brew and extract GF beer due to the lack of ingredients available. I was thinking a basic APA style recipe, any thoughts as to how exactly to use the extract? Should I go 100% sorghum or add some brown rice for a bit extra?

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back