Glass Carboys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wimmig

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking to get some new fermenters and would like to go with glass carboys. I've used a glass one in the past with a friend, then later a better bottle (which got melted). Looking around for somewhere to buy them from in Sydney. For the most part I can only find 5gal ones, no 6gals. Always loved being able to see ferment :)

This guy seems to have ok prices;

http://www.corebrewingconcepts.com.au/Glass-Carboy-5-gallon_p_250.html

Could anybody lend a helping hand or know where is a sure bet? Thanks again!

$43.50 for a 25 litre glass Demijohn in a plastic basket at Gaganis here in Adelaide. They're sort of a continental supermaket type store. They have 750ml wine bottles for $0.65 and 2 litre flagons at $1.70.
Brewcraft have 2 litre flagons at $4.25, which is a big difference.
Try looking under wine making supplies.

Thank you for the reply. I've looked around, and checked some out. They're not entirely what i'm looking for after seeing the ones in the states.

For the meantime I was thinking of something like this http://www.esbrewing.com.au/carboy-fermenter-30-litre.html Though I don't need them ported wth a tap as I use a siphon for everything.

Any idea as to if they come without porting anywhere?

I got mine off ebay from a store in Melbourne for around $40 pick up. Corebrewingconcepts is a good company to deal with too.

bullsneck said:
The guy who sells them through ebay has a store in Clayton, corebrewingconcepts has a pick-up location in Lyndhurst (for the reference of any Melbourne people who pick up the thread). To the op; a lot of companies that do sell these don't advertise them in their online stores as they don't want to ship them and you should probably avoid shipping if you can as well - if there are definitely no local options, I'd personally just go with Core. The bloke who runs the show is down to earth and I wouldn't hesitate to trust he'd do his best to package it up as safely as possible (no affiliation) or replace it and chase up the insurance in his own time etc

hoppy2B said:
They have 750ml wine bottles for $0.65 and 2 litre flagons at $1.70.
Actually, their wine bottles are $0.59 and if you buy 1 or 2 dozen it goes down to $0.55.
You can remove the basket from the large demijohns if that helps at all.

The one you have linked from ESB/The Brew Shop is plastic. However they do have 25L glass carboys. I have 4 of them. Make sure you buy the metal neck handle as well. Ring them 9533 5952 and see if they have them in stock, they get them in if not.
I find the 25 L big enough for 20-21 L batch unless it is a stout or high OG beer (they tend to foam over). Great for lagers and long fermentations.

Back