Glass Carboys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerpig

Reaction score
G'day All

I am chasing some information on glass carboys

Hoping someone can help

Cheers

Hi Beerpig (nice name) What type of info do u require. Pro's & con's of glass carboys or where to buy & pricing?

STEPHEN

Thanks for the reply Stephen

Was chasing prices, availability, experiences from those who have used them etc.

Cheers

Beerpig,

Prices are around $50.

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/equipment.htm

Most major HB stores stock them.

For info try this thread.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/Glas...boys-t2145.html

As for experiences, I've been using two of them for about 5 years. They're good, if you're careful, they have obvious pitfalls. You have to siphon, you can't clean them as easily as a plastic fermenter. They break easily if you're careless.

Upside, they don't scratch on the inside, if handled with care they will outlast a plastic fermenter. You can also view your fermentation (if you need to).

Warren -

Thanks Warren

Can you get them with taps to avoid the need to siphon?

Also are they available in a similar wide mouth shape to the plastic carboys? (for ease of cleaning)

Cheers

Beerpig said:
Thanks Warren

Can you get them with taps to avoid the need to siphon?

Also are they available in a similar wide mouth shape to the plastic carboys? (for ease of cleaning)

Cheers
[post="52754"][/post]​

No. You can't get them with taps. However you can get wine demijohns with taps (I think).

No you can't get them with wide mouths. The standard shape is the water cooler bottle shape.

Warren -

Thanks again

"A day when you don't learn something is a day wasted"

Cheers

Not a lot of use if like me you don't live near Adelaide.

The Monk had some secondhand ones for sale at a very fair price a while back.

Batz

Hmmm an upside down carboy is a very poor substitute for a conical fermenter. Dangerous too.

I have seen at Globe and Gaganis Bros demijohns with a tap, however these were 50L and larger vessels. I have also seen demijohns of 10L and up with wide mouths.

Jovial Monk

What shape is a demijohn? Are these a worthy substitute for a a glass carboy?

Will

Just a quick query guys. I'm looking at getting around a 3 - 5 litre demijohn/container, for making yeast starters, and for farming liquid yeast. My question is can you pour boiling water straight into them, or are they likely to break/explode if that's done.

Cheers :)

Stoodoo said:
are they likely to break/explode if that's done.
[post="69729"][/post]​

They sure are :excl: Don't do it. Take it from somebody who's already busted 2 doing just the same. :eek:

Warren -

If you really have your mind set to use glass consider that unless it's scientific grade pyrex rated, you will eventually crack it pouring boiling wart over it. The demijons mentioned are wide based with a narrow neck and are used for making home made vino. You can get them in both 34 and 54 litre with taps, but the taps are plastic and connect to a glass spigot protruding from a concave base. These are expensive and difficult to clean. I have used carboys but prefer the european style pickling demijon - they come in 34L and have a neck large enough to put your arm down. The base is not as wide and offers excellent head space for more active brews. They are shaped like a pear and you can't get or attach taps.

Vin

Back