Gladfields roast wheat as base malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radearling

Reaction score
brewed a dark wheat beer with 55% gladfields ROAST wheat malt, BIAB Mash 67deg. Og1.045 but fermentation has stalled at 1.028. Added second yeast packet but still no go. Does anyone know if this malt is a fermentable malt or is that it

Roast malts are not base malts and will have most fermentable sugar and enzymes cooked out of them.

Come to that realisation to manticle got it confused with Weyermann choc wheat. Can't find it now but thought I read it was a suitable substitute. Now wondering what my options are, thinking of adding a can of liquid malt??? Dosnt taste too bad don't really want to through it

As above, anything dark (over say 25 EBC) has little or no enzymes left so isn't a base malt by definition.
In the darkening process during roasting sugars and carbohydrates that could otherwise be converted to sugars join to proteins (see Milliard Reaction) making the dark stuff, but removing that carb from the fermentable content of the wort.
Roast malt is usually not more than 10% of the grist, occasionally up to 20%.

Really you would be better off asking this sort of question before you screw the pooch!
Mark

Throw in some sugar? Half a kilo maybe and see if the yeasties come to life...

worth a try, sugar is cheap.

Be aware that while whatever you add may boost abv and ferment out, gravity will remain high. What can't ferment, won't ferment.

What will happen is your gravity will go up a little, then come back down to exactly where it is now, same problem with a bit more alcohol in it.
Took all of 20 seconds to go to the Gladfield website and read the specifications on the malt, which you should have done first.
Roast Wheat.JPG

Dissolve the sugar in some water before you add it, it should dilute things down a little.
And/Or. If you have two fermenters (a big W pot is what I use and perfectly fine), split the batch in two and add half the sugar to each (dissolved maybe in 5L water for each). That will bring it down a bit.

edit: I use Gladfield roasted wheat quite a bit and find it to be a lovely addition.

edit. edit: What was the other 45% (besides the roasted wheat??

Last edited:
What will happen is your gravity will go up a little, then come back down to exactly where it is now, same problem with a bit more alcohol in it.
Took all of 20 seconds to go to the Gladfield website and read the specifications on the malt, which you should have done first.
View attachment 108479

Odd they call it roast wheat malt when it is unmalted. I love Gladfields but that is a misnomer/furphy.

radearling - It has been pointed out to me that I may have sounded a bit harsh.
I'm not retracting what I said, the time to ask questions is before you do something irrevocable (AKA screw the pooch), but sorry if you found the way I said it offensive, I will try to be a bit more gentle next time.

There is plenty of good information out there on malts (and every other aspect of brewing). If you are planning a new beer or using an ingredient you aren't familiar with, it's in your interest to do a bit of research. In this case look at the Gladfield website, the recommended up to 15% should have given warning that 55% might be a bit on the high side.
If you were looking at a replacement for Weyermann Chocolate Wheat Malt, a visit to their website will say that its used up to 5%
WW.JPG

You could even start a thread asking for suggestions (see one circulating on a first dark beer recipe).

As it stands I doubt the brew can be saved, adding more of anything wont help, about the only thing you could do is dilute it with other beer (comes to nearly 100L to get the roast down to something reasonable), or just tip it and learn from the mistake.
If you need help, ask, I and doubtless many others here will be happy to help.
Mark

^never stuffed up anything mhb?

dilute it down and do something with it I reckon. A bit of sugar and water will not cost you much. What's to lose? If it's crap toss it out, if it's drinkable - drink it and be merry.

Latest posts

Back