Gladfield Malt recipes page

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick667

Reaction score
Gladfield malt has a recipe page on the web site and I was wondering if anyone has given any of them a try.

Gladfield malt has a recipe page on the web site and I was wondering if anyone has given any of them a try.

I've made the Manuka Smoked Red Ale, it's very good. The smoke character from the manuka smoked malt is very mild - I think the recipe calls for 30% smoked malt and I kicked it up to 50% and still liked it. It's not like an overpowering rauch malt.

I've made the Manuka Smoked Red Ale, it's very good. The smoke character from the manuka smoked malt is very mild - I think the recipe calls for 30% smoked malt and I kicked it up to 50% and still liked it. It's not like an overpowering rauch malt.

I did a Manuka Smoked barleywine which was basically 99% smoked malt and 1% carafa II. Just bottled @ 11% ABV+. She sure is on the smokey side!

I did a Manuka Smoked barleywine which was basically 99% smoked malt and 1% carafa II. Just bottled @ 11% ABV+. She sure is on the smokey side!
The firies were called on mash in.

I made a variation of the Gladfield Red Ale. Turned out nice. I use Gladfield malts most brews as that is what my nearest brew store stocks. IMHO they are very good.

I want to try the Aurora Australis Amber, it is a one malt one hop ordinary bitter. I emailed Gladfields and got the translations for some of the strange names they use and the Aurora malt is an aromatic. Any thoughts?
I may give the golden ales a go as well.

They also have a dark saison recipe (which is in their booklet, but not on the website)

I have it on tap and it is great. I did use wyeast 3031 (saison/brett blend) though. Delicious. Kinda reminds me of toffee, with a hint of banana and a great backnote of leather and funk

I emailed Gladfields and got the translations for some of the strange names they use and the Aurora malt is an aromatic. Any thoughts?

If you did a cursory search of their website, you would very easily find descriptions of all of the malts that they make, and what they are comparable to...

I have made the regular saison and Kölsch both were delicious, I used Magnum and Vic Secrete in the Kölsch.

I use a lot of Gladfield as I find the malts are a better quality. I had to adjust my efficiency down after converting a regular recipe to Gladfield malts.

Back