Gladfield Black Forest Rye

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubbsy

Reaction score
Has any one here used Gladfield's Black Forrest Rye malt? I've got a couple kg's coming to try out and was thinking about putting it in a Strong Bitter, something along these lines...

75% Ale Malt
16% Munich Malt
5% Black Forrest Rye Malt
3% Naked Oat malt
1% Chocolate Wheat

Will bitter to ~40 IBU with Magnum and Fuggles late in the boil and use Nottingham yeast.

I've wanted to, but every time I try to buy it its sold out. That recipe looks pretty good though, keen to hear how it works out for you.

Finally received my grain order yesterday and brewed this today. Was a touch low on my numbers, but not enough to worry about. Changed the recipe up a touch with a bit more of the Black Forest rye.

The wort smells amazing, so really keen to see how it turns out.

Attachments

• f_CzMEYjchL6ZbDeyhTkmmpQX5lGl2_Brewfather_Batch55_20220827.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 0
I have! I kegged it last week and tried my first last night. The rye spiciness is just coming through, but there is also a light toasty note. It also has a decent maltiness to it which balances well with the bitterness. Has a dry finish and is a very easy drinking beer. If you can get some Black Forest malt, I recommend giving it a go.

The Weyermann version (Chocolate Rye) is pretty good to, I find the Chocolate wheat pretty handy to.
All the colour of roast barley but without the rough edge.
Mark

The Weyermann version (Chocolate Rye) is pretty good to, I find the Chocolate wheat pretty handy to.
All the colour of roast barley but without the rough edge.
Mark
I haven't used the Chocolate Rye, but use the Chocolate wheat fairly often. In any beer that needs colour adjustment it is my go to.

Black forrest Rye I was told was a bit like supernova malt but with a rye edge to it. Haven't used mine yet but I have a plan.
Can't get any crystal rye at the moment so will have to sub in some normal crystal I suppose.

I'm a big fan of Gladfield Crystal Rye. It is a real treat in IPAs at around 15-20%. Black Forest Rye sounds like a great alternative, although after looking at the Gladfield website, it seems like it's probably best to use it at about half that rate.

Has anyone had a chance to compare and contrast these two malts?

I'm a big fan of Gladfield Crystal Rye. It is a real treat in IPAs at around 15-20%. Black Forest Rye sounds like a great alternative, although after looking at the Gladfield website, it seems like it's probably best to use it at about half that rate.

Has anyone had a chance to compare and contrast these two malts?
Helpful advice I'll bear that in mind when I use it, or use it as an alternative in the recipe that wants crystal rye which is unavailable at the moment.

Dont know about NZ but my local (Brewman) had some of the Weyermannn Caramel Rye in stock last time I was there.
Mark

Seems harder to find than a crazy french referee down here. I'm keeping my eyes peeled though.
I do not support NZMRT.

I've been through the Gladfield malt specs with a fine-toothed comb and I can find a pretty close European substitute for most of their range. But Black Forest Rye is way out on its own, I can't find anything even near. It looks like a rye version of amber malt to me so I'm going to get some whole rye malt and roast it in the oven (Instructions are in the Durden Park booklet) until it's the colour of amber malt and then use it in a rye bitter, but not quite the same as the recipe provided by the OP. Anybody tried doing this already?

No, but the Durden Park guys do some amazing work, booklet is well worth the investment if anyone is interested in historic beers.
Mark

Latest posts

Back