Gippy Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knot_gillty

Reaction score
I posted this in the clubs section but don't think many saw it.

Gippy Brewers:

I know there are a few of you out there, but I'm curious if there's a club or similar running? I've seen there's many from East Gippsland and Latrobe Valley and I wouldn't mind catching up to learn how to brew. Some of you may know I brew mead but as yet haven't done any beers. I'd like to take a look how AG is done and learn about kegging. Im in Trafalgar. Anyone want to show me how it's done?

Hit me up if you'd like to show me what the go is. We can work out what I'd need to bring for brew day (I'll supply grain etc if needed) and we can go from there.

Cheers,

Gilly

I'm in Moe drop me a PM, though tied up with a BB this Saturday and off to Bega next week end, happy for you to join me for brewday, check out the keg system.

Yeah I've got a bit on the next couple of weekends too. Sounds like a plan. Got a mate with a keg setup in his shed but he doesn't brew so I thought I'd give it a try and take my brews there. Appreciate the offer, I'll hit you up in a few weeks.

Iam in west gippy however i tend to brew when i can (shift work and other commitments) and dont particularly brew on any planned occasions. i mostly do kit/extract/steeped/hopped brews but have done a few BIAB AGs. it would be nice if i had more time and room to do more AGs. there are a couple of other blokes i work with that do AG , one pretty rarely these days and the other has been busy with a new child. there are plenty of people around but as always time seems to be the enemy.

A Bloke I work with is getting into brewing as well and wants to come down one day and grab a few pointers, he is sort of semi retired these days so he seems to be off more than at work as well as running a pretty big parcel of land and it has been hard to nail down a day when he can come over. he also is looking at brewing and kegging and has just tooled up to begin,

I'm in East Gippy near Lake King and the Silt Jetties in Eagle Point

Brewing mostly 60-80ltr batches on 4v once every three to four weeks but this Sat will be a 22ltr finished beer batch.

I've often thought about starting an East Gippsland Brew Club, but then there's the work that goes into it ... maybe we could have an AHB brew-day Calendar

Got a shut coming up at Loy Yang too so that will limit my time... forgot all about that! We'll find time.

Missed this thread as I've been of the forum for a while (new job/kids/house etc) but I was hoping to get something in the area going last year (I'm over Leongatha way but travel to the valley and the island for work fairly frequently).
Even if not a club it would be great to have some contacts for ingredient and case swaps - I'm at ordering hops via YV in the future, as I'm sick of getting hops that are a season behind, but its hard to justify the postage cost for the amount I use.

Missed this thread as I've been of the forum for a while (new job/kids/house etc) but I was hoping to get something in the area going last year (I'm over Leongatha way but travel to the valley and the island for work fairly frequently).
Even if not a club it would be great to have some contacts for ingredient and case swaps - I'm at ordering hops via YV in the future, as I'm sick of getting hops that are a season behind, but its hard to justify the postage cost for the amount I use.

Hi. I’m In Leongatha. Although I know nothing about brewing as yet, I do know the nursery up the Main Street near terry white chemist has hops plants for sale.
I hope this helps.

Hi. I’m In Leongatha. Although I know nothing about brewing as yet, I do know the nursery up the Main Street near terry white chemist has hops plants for sale.
I hope this helps.
Thanks,
I have hops from the nursery and will actually be harvesting (and doing a wet hop brew) on the weekend. Feel free send me a message if your interested in advice, ingredients or sampling some beer.

I hope this helps.
Do you know what variety they have?

Do you know what variety they have?
Amarillos? :p
I think they are only really common varieties - I have Fuggles, Cascade, Chinook and POR from there. To be honest I haven't actually been in there to look, my mother in law has decided they are the birthday/Christmas present of choice so I accumulate a new one every six months (whether I have the space for it or not :) )

How do your fuggles go? Mine struggle in west gippsland however my cascade go gangbusters.

My fuggles were by far my worst crop; barely 100g fresh from them. But I messed by their placement and I think they had way to much shade from the much faster growing POR that they were next to. I will probably take the POR out for next year as I think I will be struggling to come up with uses for the crop it has produced.

Howdy,

I am in Wonthaggi and would definately be interested if anything gets organised in south gippy.

My brewery, Tipsy Squirrel, is a 20l per batch BIAB, all grain brewing. I ferment using 26l kegmenters and keg into cornies, which find their way into my 3 tap keezer.

Just harvested my hop crop yesterday, got just under 2kg. Vacuum bagged them and into the freezer for a years worth of wet hop goodness. Most of my crop was hallertau, my 2 fuggles also had a small crop, not their year i guess.

Cheers,

Nathan.

wouldn't hold your breath getting amarillo/citra plants there not availlable here or the usa as they are proprietary belong the company

Howdy,

I am in Wonthaggi and would definately be interested if anything gets organised in south gippy.

My brewery, Tipsy Squirrel, is a 20l per batch BIAB, all grain brewing. I ferment using 26l kegmenters and keg into cornies, which find their way into my 3 tap keezer.

Just harvested my hop crop yesterday, got just under 2kg. Vacuum bagged them and into the freezer for a years worth of wet hop goodness. Most of my crop was hallertau, my 2 fuggles also had a small crop, not their year i guess.

Cheers,

Nathan.
There seems to be quite a bit of interest in getting something up in the area. The distance between people (and lack of transport options) seems to be the main problem bit given the number of people living here and working there I think we could get a good network going for things like bulk orders and ingredient and beer sharing. I also thought we could do a case swap like competition every six months or so - put a case of beer into a central location and collect a case other beers back to rate and give feedback on. Could be a great way improve our brewing and discover new ingredients.

Have you frozen your wet hops before? I thought this wasn't really an option.

Hmm. I'm also in Sth Gippsland - Wonthaggi/Leongatha area - and do a fair bit of AG, mainly UK ales but also Belgian farmhouse. Would be up for a case swap. How to organise? I gather it's been done before .

Back