Ginger Kit Quiery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidannoyance

Reaction score
Gday fellow brewers ,
Just wondering if anyone knows if it causes dramas if you've added your ginger beer flavoring when mixing in fermenter even though the kit says to add once fermentation has finished .? Also has anyone any tips on making good gb whenI have added an extra half kilo of dextrose ,
cheers people :)

Might be an idea to mention what kit you're using because I can't recall having ever read much about kit "flavouring" additions before and I've read a lot of GB threads here and elsewhere. Sounds like it is specific to your kit and it may help you to mention which kit it is.

Having said that, I imagine that the reason they say to add it later is that the flavour may be stripped out a bit by active fermentation. I don't think you've ruined it by any means but if the flavour is a little more muted than you expected then that may be the reason.

As for the other tip, maybe some extra ginger to balance it out a bit? I'm not sure it is needed though. You only add more ginger for more ginger. You add more dex for more fun. Two different things.

gday bum thanks for the reply .
yeah its a copper tun gb k&k .im thinking ginger is ginger no matter when you add it, was worried it woulnd taste funky but it is fermenting properly( well the specific gravity is dropping) and i tasted it tonight and its pretty good . The kit came with gb flav sach and gb sweetener sach and the yeast of course. im thinking it will be ok even if the ginger is muted a little as i only did 20lt not 23lt. as for the dex im hoping she has some bang for round the pool this xmas B) have you ever uped a k&k by .5 before?

If I recall correctly I pushed a kit GB up around 9% once. It was alright but it turns out that isn't how I want my GBs to work these days. I aim at low 4.x% now because GBs are something I want to drink a lot of on a hot night and being ruined after two doesn't fit in with the plan.

Sounds like yours is travelling well. Good luck with her.

Latest posts

Back