Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendandrage

Reaction score
Hi all, I was looking to do a two can ginger beer brew but thought i would ask for any advice or recipes that you guys may have.I looked through the recipe data base but could find anything using two cans
Cheers

A lot of people find the artificial sweetner in the tins a bit too much. That might get way out of hand in a GB toucan. I'm not saying not to do but you should think about it.

Have you put down a single tin before? If you have and had no issue with the sweetener then go for it if you like. Personally, I'd prefer to make a bigger GB by using one tin and doing a boil of lots of fresh ginger and adding extra fermentables (I like raw sugar but you could easily use dex or even a Coopers Brew Enhancer).

Of you do put brew with two cans be sure to report back here so the next person who looks for info can find something.

Thanks bum, thats great advice would you be prepared to share your recipe?
Brendan

Brendan

Hey mate i just did a coopers ginger beer brew, came out sensational, one can of coopers ginger beer, i kilo raw sugar and bingo it came out about 3.7% alcohol but tastes great. Im know looking for a way to keep the same tatse but up the alcohol % up around 4.8 %

Hopper

Brendan
I don't have a recipe as such. I tend to make fairly significant changes from batch to batch trying to nail what I'm after. My base ia always something like:
Coopers GB goop
1kg fresh ginger (usually a mix of young and aged, depending on price) grated/processed and boiled in as much water as I can manage on the stove (5L minimum) - including the water only in the fermenter
750gm raw sugar
250gm dark brown sugar (must be dark not the normal brown sugar)

Beyond that I tend to play around a fair bit, different yeasts, different spices in the boil (although cinnamon, cardamom and cloves always feature), maybe more fermentables, sometimes a bottle of Buderim's Ginger Refresher.

Hey, Bum. Which yeast has worked the best in your experience, mate? I'm going to give your recipe a bash for the lady soon I think. She's only been asking for a ginger beer for about a year now.

Have done a few GB using the Coopers kit.
This is the current recipe I am on

Coopers kit
500g ginger processed
Cinnamon Sticks - 13g broken up
2 lemons
5 cloves
500g dark brown sugar
1.5kg Raw sugar

Basically, a 60 minute boil of the ginger, lemon rind, Cinnamon and cloves in a bag
Lemon juice and sugars into water until dissolved.
Add pot water to fermenter, fill to about 10 litres, stir in Coopers kit, fill to 20 litres.
Pitch yeast when at right temp.

I have 2 in the fermenter at the moment, the oldest is at a month now.
Unsure why the longer ferment (the others took about 2 weeks), except that it is colder, and I used the Coopers yeast rather than an English Ale yeast.

Looks the goods, lockup.

Hey, Bum. Which yeast has worked the best in your experience, mate? I'm going to give your recipe a bash for the lady soon I think. She's only been asking for a ginger beer for about a year now.
I have no clear favourite. In fact, I'm not sure it makes an enormous difference in a GB - but if I've got some slurry handy, etc.

I quite often just use the lid yeast and get alright results even.

A warning though - the artificial sweetener thing people talk about is real. There's no getting around it. I've gone up to 2kg of ginger and tonnes of spices and there is no completely hiding it. It bothers me less than the insipid firewater that comes from a scratch GB though (boil, not plant).

Looks the goods, lockup.

I have no clear favourite. In fact, I'm not sure it makes an enormous difference in a GB - but if I've got some slurry handy, etc.

I quite often just use the lid yeast and get alright results even.

A warning though - the artificial sweetener thing people talk about is real. There's no getting around it. I've gone up to 2kg of ginger and tonnes of spices and there is no completely hiding it. It bothers me less than the insipid firewater that comes from a scratch GB though (boil, not plant).

Thanks for that, mate. I'll give it a crack.

Back