Ginger beer - struggle town

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ14

Reaction score
Have come back to basic brewing with 2 x coopers home brew kits.

Have a Brigalow Ginger Beer & Cooper Lager on the go.
Quite happy with how the Lager is progressing, but really unsure about the GB.

Has been very little activity through the air lock, and 6 days on SG reading is still high near 1040.

What are peoples thoughts??

GB's in trouble for sure. 6 days at 1040 is not ideal. What temperature are you keeping it?

GB's in trouble for sure. 6 days at 1040 is not ideal. What temperature are you keeping it?
Its been quite cool here (Adelaide) so has fluctuated with ambient temps. Started out at 25 then dropped by day 3 to 20-22

What do you mean by "activated" yeast?

My recommendation - get to a LHBS and buy some brewer's yeast. Something neutral like US-05. Chuck that in.

What do you mean by "activated" yeast?

My recommendation - get to a LHBS and buy some brewer's yeast. Something neutral like US-05. Chuck that in.
Thanks mate - will give that a try

Hi TJ14 and welcome back to brewing. I’ve always found ginger beer kits are slow to ferment and without much activity. mtb’s suggestion is a good one however do you see any bubbling from the liquid, any condensation on the lid?
The lager is fermenting at what temperature and is it Coopers Europeon or just their lager?

i have a brigalow GB in a keg right now

sadly it's pretty crap IMO, thought i would give a Brig-a-go for the $12 it costs
very sweet and not very gingery, i actually thought it stalled and thats why it may be sweet but..

I prefer the morgans one for a kit

Hi TJ14 and welcome back to brewing. I’ve always found ginger beer kits are slow to ferment and without much activity. mtb’s suggestion is a good one however do you see any bubbling from the liquid, any condensation on the lid?
The lager is fermenting at what temperature and is it Coopers Europeon or just their lager?
No bubbling through the airlock, but there is condensation on the lid. The lager is doing fine at the same temps as the ginger beer - primarily 20-22

i have a brigalow GB in a keg right now

sadly it's pretty crap IMO, thought i would give a Brig-a-go for the $12 it costs
very sweet and not very gingery, i actually thought it stalled and thats why it may be sweet but..

I prefer the morgans one for a kit
Where can you get the Morgans kit from?

Condensation indicates fermentation is happening. Don’t worry about the airlock, as stated ginger beer very slow acting.
The lager temp is high, can you get done to about 18 degrees?

Condensation indicates fermentation is happening. Don’t worry about the airlock, as stated ginger beer very slow acting.
The lager temp is high, can you get done to about 18 degrees?
So you wouldn't add any further yeast?

How the hell did u get gb to above a 1.040, did my kit brigalow as well and got 1.030?

Sounds like you've put in way to much sugar or such.

So you wouldn't add any further yeast?
No I wouldn’t, wait 2 to 3 days and recheck hydrometer reading.

As a thought, your reading of 1.040 did that sample include what was sitting in the tap or did you discard some first?

Latest posts

Back